11.21.2006

My Big, Fat Tokyo Post

(Note: I took the camera, however, I didn't remember the battery. SO, we have pictures of the first half of the trip. Ooopsie! :))

I thought it was high time that I talked about my big trip to Japan. Jet lag has subsided and Sunshine School is on hiatus so I have a little bit of time before I pack everyone up and we head to Arkansas for Thanksgiving. We are actually really excited to go and see Alan's family since our last trip at the first of September was cancelled due to a stomach bug. We pray that we are all healthy this time around.

Anyways, back to that Friday when I left for Tokyo, Japan. Alan was already there and awaiting my arrival. My dad took me to the airport on Friday morning. I got there about 6:30 for a 10:20 flight. There were long lines for security but once I got through I spent time to myself reading and preparing for the long flight. I started talking to a couple who was going to Hawaii and called to check on the kids. Time was flying by and it wasn't until I was standing in line to purchase some magazines that I looked at my watch and realized that it was almost 10:15. I promptly raced to my gate which had been changed to about eight gates down so I was sweaty when I finally got on the plane. I had no idea until a couple of days ago when I finally checked my messages at home that American Airlines had called to see where I was. The man said that it was final boarding call and they were going to take off shortly. It scared me at first to know that I almost missed my flight for no good reason at all. After that, it was just plain funny!

FRIDAY & SATURDAY
By the time I got to the airport in Tokyo it was Saturday. I was really excited and I couldn't wait to meet Alan. When I saw him, it was a great moment. We were both anticipating having a great time and focusing on each other for once. We had to take about an hour train ride into the city so when we finally got to our hotel, I was really happy.




It was a quaint little hotel that I thought looked so adorable. The rooms were great and we had a high-tech t.v. which I only turned on once for about a minute. Alan had planned to take me to the hotel restaurant at the hotel he usually stays at which was a cab ride away. We went with his work partner, Miguel and had a wonderful time.





The food was nothing like my favorite Japanese restaurant in Plano. There were a few things that I would not touch! I think I offended Alan a little since the night before he had eaten a whole fish in soup!! After dinner we walked around the subway station that was near our hotel since I would be by myself Sunday afternoon through Monday afternoon. Alan was to take a plane to another city to visit a supplier. It was a great two days and I was very tired. I couldn't wait to go to the markets and walk around more the next couple of days.

SUNDAY
I woke up so refreshed! I was so ready to walk around the city. Alan showed me around the subway station which was called Ueno (like Taco Bueno) and how to get around on the subway. I was a little overwhelmed, I mean I had trouble maneuvering the Dart not too long ago!




Alan was a pro and knew just what he was doing. He knew a lot of the language and was acclimated very well to the Japanese culture. I was so proud of him and he impressed me beyond belief. I really think this trip helped our relationship a lot!






We went to the fish market and a couple of temples. We also saw Tokyo tower and my favorite was going to the market. It reminded me a little of Canton, only with treasures from Japan. My main goal was to buy little gifts for all those women that had helped me with my kids and my sanity those two weeks. We also saw a tree that was planted by President Grant and one by President Bush. Alan was way excited about that!



On the way back, I stopped to go to the restroom or Toilet in the subway station. I was astonished at what I saw!

Finally the last stall had a sit down toilet. I just had to ask Alan for the camera to take a picture. Alan was cracking up at my look of astonishment. He said, "Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that." Come to find out there are a lot of things that he forgot to mention! Alan left that afternoon and I spent time at and around Ueno Station. I ate by myself at Hard Rock Cafe and left a great tip. Alan later told me that you don't tip in Japan. One more thing he forgot to mention. My favorite store to visit was OiOi. I loved looking at all the handbags and trendy clothes and shoes. Of course I did NOT buy anything there. :(

I went to the hotel pretty early that night because I didn't feel safe without Alan. Luckily he left his laptop so I watched t.v. on itunes and listened to music. I really missed him not being there but I was still really happy to have the bed all to myself!

MONDAY
This was the last day to shop at the markets and walk around the city. I got up refreshed again and couldn't wait to hit the streets. I actually rode the right subway to where I needed to go and felt very proud of myself! I really had a good time and then ate lunch at McDonalds. American food...YES! Everyone was really nice and the language barrier made me realize that I really should have tried to learn some words. I met a nice man on a bicycle that talked to me as I walked and tried to give me some tips. The only sad part of the trip was seeing kids or hearing a cry. It really made me lonesome for my kids but I knew that Carolyn and Mom were taking great care of them.




Alan finally arrived and told me "Happy Anniversary!" What a nice present to be in Japan with him on our Anniversary. We did more walking around and then went to the nicest restaurant to celebrate. Our booth overlooked the city and I felt so honored to be with him. We ate some sushi and it was very fresh and yummy! We went to Electric City and finally caught a subway back to Ueno Station where we splurged on some sweets from the Chou Factory. The smell of heavy, sweet cream surrounds the station and we couldn't resist. We went back to our room to eat and fell asleep shortly after.

TUESDAY
We had a flight at 1:00 so we got to walk around the park early that morning. I only wished that the Zoo had opened earlier as we could hear the animals and really wanted to see them. We ate a great breakfast at the hotel and then got ready to leave. Parting is such sweet sorrow. Alan was really ready to see the kids and get home. Me? I could have stayed another week. I am hoping that Alan gets to go back a couple more times this year. We need those AA miles to get me back there! Next time, Kylie goes, too!

The plane ride home felt longer even though it was shorter and we actually touched down at DFW at 9:20 am. We were so glad to pick up the kids and come home to take naps!

So there's our big trip in a nutshell. Every minute was exciting and invigorating! I can't wait to learn the language and go back!

6 comments:

KTU said...

DONG!!!!

courtney said...

You're so funny! I love how you could relate something in Japan to Taco Bueno and Canton! I'm so jealous....it looks like it was fun!

So, what's your favorite Japanese restaurant in Plano? Do share!!

Amber Smith said...

Wow Traci! Such special memories with your hubby! I had no clue about those things that you mentioned about Japanese culture AND that Alan knew so much about it all. Very neat! I'm glad you had such a great time on your anniversary. I learned quite alot about Japan. Thanks for sharing your fun experiences with us!

Erica said...

I am so glad you got to go on a much needed vacation. It is nice to take a break from life for a little bit. I loved seeing you the other week...sorry we had to exit so abruptly. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures from your much needed trip with your sweet husband! I am so glad you enjoyed your time in Japan.

Amy said...

Traci, you and Alan are looking soooo cute in those pictures. Happy Anniversary!!! I'm thinking I want to hear Alan speak Japanese here pretty soon. ;-)

Thanks for the update.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....