Don't knock 'em until you try 'em!! I came across these cookies on Pinterest- my new obsession- and I thought, "Ewwwwww- NO way!!" Cut to last week when I was subbing and one of my friends said that she had made some of these babies and that I should go get one. Well, you know I'm not gonna hurt anyone's feelings when it comes to food. So I grabbed one and took it back to my room to eat.
I took a bite and I immediately tasted the bacon. I was trying to convince myself of how awful they were until I realized that I couldn't get enough of this little cookie! I was plotting how I was going to sneak another one when I realized that I could get the recipe and make MY OWN!! I still sneaked another one, though! ha!
I found the best recipe at Mouth of the South and they are actually called Brown Butter, Bacon & Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I will say that mine are NOT flat! I can't stand a flat cookie. I used self-rising flour since that's all I had, and my cookies were ALL that!! I did omit the baking powder and salt, however.
I also never use parchment paper with my cookies- another flatner in my opinion.
Below is the recipe:
Brown Butter, Bacon & Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
1 3/4 cups
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
4 oz semisweet chocolate bar, diced into 1/4" pieces
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chops (I like Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
3 tablespoons milk chocolate, grated
1 cup bacon that's been fried until crispy and diced into roughly 1/4" pieces
Adjust your oven rack so it's in the middle position. Pre-heat to 375 degrees.
Whisk flour and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Heat 10 tablespoons of butter in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly. Watch this carefully - butter can go from brown to burned very quickly. When butter is dark-golden brown and has a nutty aroma, remove from heat and immediately transfer to a heatproof bowl. Stir the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into hot butter until melted.
Add granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until completely mixed. Add egg and egg yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth and there are no lumps of sugar remaining.
Let sugar/egg/butter mixture stand for a few minutes. Then whisk again for 30 seconds. Do this several times - you want to make sure that the sugar has "melted" into the liquid. When ready, mixture will be smooth, thick and shiny.
Using wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in grated chocolate, chocolate chunks, chocolate chips and bacon pieces. Don't overmix but make sure no flour pockets remain.
Using a teaspoon, place a heaping teaspoon of cookie dough on the baking sheet. I get about 14 on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-14 minutes (my oven takes 11 minutes) until cookies are golden-brown and set along the edges but the middle is still soft. Remove from oven and set baking sheet on a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
1 comment:
i truly don't doubt that those are great, but being that i'm still in my first trimester and NOTHING sounds good AT ALL to eat, the thought of those just made me throw up in my mouth! (well, not really--but almost!)
but, i guarantee when this does pass, i will be giving these a try!
Post a Comment