6.29.2010

What? You can read? Really?


My sweet lil' Riley shocked me this week by showing me that he can READ!! We've been focusing so much on verbal communication that I didn't realize how many sight words he was soaking up and actually memorizing! I can't tell you the joy I have experienced from watching him track each word on the page and sound it out himself. Priceless!!


It all started when I found these BOB books in all my scrapbook materials this summer. I put them under the coffee table and was going to try to work with Riley when he got bored. One day he was bugging me every 5 minutes and not having such a calm day when I told him to sit in my lap and got the books out. That was seriously one of the first times he actually focused on something for more than 2 minutes and showed me what he could do. Amazing!!

If you have a child with Autism or you know someone who has a child with Autism or somewhere on the spectrum, I just want you to know that the first couple of years are definitely the hardest! I really don't know how we got through them and I know that we have some hard times ahead- but seriously- I can honestly say that I am so blessed to be the mommy of my Riley Roo!

No comments:

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....