4.07.2010

disappointed :(

Nope- I didn't do a blog post yesterday. Quite frankly, my feelings were hurt and I was really disappointed. It's a shame that in the midst of Autism Awareness Month, I just found out that Riley was left out of a HUGE class project. Left out. Forgotten. Oopsie!

Every year, the kids' school (which is an awesome school with even more awesome teachers) has an Art Auction Extravaganza. Every class does a class project and it is auctioned off at the Extravaganza to raise money at the school. There have been some really creative things over the years. How do I know this since this is our first year? Because I am Homeroom Mom for Kylie's class and went to the meetings for the art auction. Her class made self- portraits and one of Kylie's sweet friend's grandmother sewed a quilt with all the sweet little faces on it. It's absolutely adorable!

Riley's class made a book. I got a group email from the Homeroom Mom yesterday with a couple of pictures of the book. It's really cute! Each child has a page with a picture of the child and something about the child. The outer cover has all of the class' fingerprints on it. Except one. Yep- Riley's! So, I emailed right back and asked if Riley was included in the project. No response. So, I emailed Riley's AWESOME teacher and asked her about it. Well, she was NOT happy and went straight to everyone involved for answers because Riley was most definitely left out of the page and the fingerprint!

I know that Riley doesn't go to his homeroom classroom but all the kids know him and know that he is in their class. He goes to music, p.e., and art with them. Last week, Riley's grandparents moved to our town and live close to the school. The little boy across the street came over and told us that Riley was in his class at school. In fact he said, "Riley is in my class. He goes to a special class during the day." He was really sweet and every time we see him, he yells, "Hi Riley!" So you would think........

Needless to say everyone is embarrassed and I got lots of "I'm sorry" emails. I know that nothing was done intentionally at all, but the fact of the matter is- I'm hurt! I hate feeling left out and it's even worse when it happens to your child. A child who already is left out of most things that kids his age are doing- birthday parties, church activities, little league sports, I could go on and on.

Riley's AWESOME teacher called me yesterday to say that she met with the assistant principal and they both agreed that to have the book at the auction without Riley is unacceptable. To add Riley and have it reprinted would take time and it wouldn't be ready for the auction on Friday night. I was told that they were going to have it reprinted and if it wasn't ready in time, people at the auction would just have to understand that they would get it later. When the Homeroom Mom contacted me last night, she mentioned that they didn't have time to reprint it but they would add Riley's laminated page to the last page. hmmmm

I have no idea what is going to happen but I just know that I am sad. Sad, embarrassed, dissappointed- all of them! So, I guess that I am going to have to be sarcastic and bitter on the Riley fact. Here goes:

Riley Fact:
Get ready to enter into a world of disappointment. Your heart is going to break for your child! You will need to grow a thick skin. You will need to stay on top of everything that you may want your child to be included in. You will need to learn that your child will never fit in with other kids his age. BUT- just know and believe that in 20 years, your child will most likely be honored for his genius mind and may even make it into history books. The best is yet to come and your child has yet to show you what all he can do. Your child is and will always be a child of God. Right now, that's all that matters.

18 comments:

Summer said...

You are an AWESOME mom and RILEY is so lucky to have you and for you to have his back...I can't believe that....I'm with you it was unintentional but it was an error and they should have soooo known he was in the homeroom class! I think that is the least they can do is reprint it with his precious finger print! I am with you I would have been flabbergasted! Oh my goodness....Go Traci for telling them and getting it corrected! Sorry you had a stinky day....

Oh and no I'm not stepping on that creepy spider eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! LOL

xoxo
Summer :0)

Socially Savvy said...

My heart is breaking with you. Lifting you up today - xo

Amy McCown said...

I am so sad that happened. It stinks to be left out and good for you for sticking up for Riley.

Jen said...

Oh that just breaks my heart. I am so glad that you emailed and that they are trying to get the project corrected. You are such a GREAT advocate for him and I am just in awe of you and the strength and dignity you have. I love you!!! Praying that Riley will make it in the books!!!

courtney said...

I'm sorry you had a bummer day yesterday, but proud of you for doing the right thing. He deserves to be in on the project as much as everyone else in the class. Riley's so blessed to have not only an AWESOME teacher but an AWESOME mom! I hope you have a better day today!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry this happened. We used to Homeschool so that things like this didn't happen, but then one day one of the "leaders" of our group took me aside and said my son was no longer allowed to participate in group activities because he was too much of a distraction and maybe I should discipline him better. When the other ladies found out, they were horrified and actually asked her to step down. It didn't make me feel any better and I obviously still have hurt feelings over it. To make matters worse, she did it during a Valentines party and made me miss my daughter winning the cutest box award. I really need to pray about letting this issue go and not letting it affect me six years later. Hopefully you can do a better job than me.

Kathryn said...

Oh, Traci. I'm so sorry all of that happened. You are such a wonderful advocate for Riley and all that he deserves, and I'll be willing to bet he's not forgotten again soon. Hope it all works out for you guys --

Jenny said...

I am so sorry that your sweet boy was left out. Too often children with special needs are not included. My nephew is affected by Autism and I get so angry at how people respond to his specialized needs. I am so proud of you that you stood up for him as well as other children that are left out.

Erica said...

I am heartbroken and hurt now too. I am so sorry that this happened and think that you are such a FANTASTIC Mom!! Both Riley and Kylie are so blessed to have you and Alan for their parents, not to mention how lucky I am to have you as one of my dearest friends. I love you and am sending a big hug your way!

Nicole said...

Sending a big hug your way! :-)

Kelsey Claire said...

I am crying with you right now. Riley is so blessed to have a mother like you who will fight for him and stand up for him! I am just glad that the big wigs at the school are doing what is right. I suppose hind sight is 20/20! Sending you a great big hug!

Samantha said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry this happened. I am so glad to hear that you have a good administration behind you.

Hattie said...

What's that homeroom mom's name that left Riley out? I know people who could take care of her! Ha! j/j

Thought you could use a laugh. That is pretty crummy that they left him out. Riley is so lucky to have a mom like you! Hugs!!!

Michael Ann said...

That's craaaaaap!! I hate that whole thing. I am so glad that you just didn't let it slide either and that his teacher is such an advocate for Riley! She sounds wonderful. You are right though, the best is yet to come. Love and hugs to you!!

Jenny said...

My sister keeps a very sporadic blog about him (Sam). I blog more about her kids than she does. Her blog is: www.samsprayerwarriors.blogspot.com
She recently stopped bringing him to 24 Hour fitness, because one of the daycare workers said he didn't listen. Little do they know that he knows exactly everything they said, he just takes longer to process and respond. He is such a blessing and I can't imagine our lives without him. We do pray/beg for him to be healed and we are not sure what that healing will be or look like.
I am so proud that you stood up for Riley. I know your battle with Autism can be second to second, day by day, or week by week. Have a blessed day and know that you are not alone in this battle.

Emily Jane said...

Traci, my heart is hurting right along with you. You are awesome for standing up for Riles and all the other kids out there with autism! Keep standing strong! Sending prayers your way!

Lindsey said...

I'm so sorry Traci!! Good for you for taking a stand!! Riley is SO lucky to have you as a Mommy!! Hang in there & I will keep you in my prayers!!

The Wallace Family said...

My feelings are hurt for you. That is very disappointing and I really hate that he got left out. Not fair at all. You are so AWESOME for handling the situation the way you did and I am sure you got many many sorry emails but sometimes sorry just isn't enough. I hope your feeling better and I really hope they had the book reprinted with Riley included.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....