Every day is Autism Awareness Day in our house. This is why:
This is Riley. He is six years old and has Autism. Look at his sweet face. He looks like a normal boy. I believe that is why some people can't understand why he doesn't act like a "normal" six year old boy. From the outside, he looks normal so when he is overwhelmed or doesn't understand how to react, it looks like he has a discipline problem. You should see some of the mean looks that I get from people who think that I let my child scream and act out. Good thing that I don't really care what people think anymore. :)
It seems like more people are learning about Autism and are more understanding now more than ever. Every time I talk about Riley to someone, they usually know someone with Autism so they can relate. It's really sad that more kids are being diagnosed each day. I wouldn't wish for anyone to have to struggle like Riley does just to communicate with his family and teachers. I wouldn't wish for anyone to feel like their child doesn't know them or need them. I wouldn't wish for anyone to not have any friends because they don't really need them or know what to do with them. And I wouldn't wish for anyone to be scared of their sibling and not be able to talk or play with them. Plain and simple- Autism stinks! But we love Riley and are doing all we can to help him overcome these obstacles and matter!
Feel free to grab the button and wear it for Riley or for anyone you know that has Autism. Tonight, several places will be lighting up blue tonight for Autism Awareness and to commemorate World Autism Awareness Day on Friday, April 2. Check out the top of the Empire State Building that will be lit up tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
tomorrow
Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....
-
Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....
-
Kylie got a gift from Meemaw and Peepaw, too. This is how we roll in our family- no one gets left out. Keith loves to watch Mike Huckabee...
-
Update: I am laughing at 2 things! 1. I had to grab a pic off the internet of a dining room that looks similar to my mom's since I didn...

5 comments:
I tell my kids all the time, No one is "Normal". Everyone has some kind of issue, it just might not be as visible as others.
Thanks Michelle. I know that but it helps to hear it, too. :)
Traci,
My sweet bloggy friend, you are an amazing mommy! Riley is so lucky to have you as a mom! He is such a cute little boy! Like Michelle said no-one is normal, everyone has something, This is Riley's normal, My DM is my Normal....
I am grabbing the light it up blue button and lighting my blog up....
Thanks for your sweet comment today, I really needed to hear that....I have been so um worried about it....
xoxo
Summer :0)
Riley is such a cutie. My step sister's son has autism. I can so understand. My heart goes out to all the families who have to deal with a loved one with autism. Riley is so lucky to have you as is momma and thanks for letting me know that it's Autism Awareness Day tomorrow. I'll repost about it on twitter & facebook. More people should know about this!
thank you for sharing with us. I look forward to hearing more from you this month.
Post a Comment