5.06.2011

Disney World Day 1- Magic Kingdom


Here we are!! Finally!! We had an AWESOME first day at Disney World. Our family made so many memories! Even though we were exhausted from getting into our hotel room after midnight, we still managed to wake up early and make it to Magic Kingdom by 8:30ish.

On the bus going from our hotel to the Magic Kingdom, we all had to stand up. By the end of the ride, Riley had found a grandpa to sit in his lap so he wouldn't have to stand. They were so sweet to him and we were glad that they didn't mind him climbing up and making himself feel at home. Riley really doesn't like feeling unstable in a moving vehicle. He will freak out if the car moves without being fully buckled in! So, we tried to not be the last people on the bus so that wouldn't happen again.

**The first thing we did when we got to MK was go to Guest Services. We told them that our son had Autism and they immediately gave us a disability pass for 4 to use the whole trip. That way if a line was too long, we could go through the Fastpass line and get on quicker. It really helped us out SO much and we only used it if we thought Riley would have a hard time waiting in line. Or if we thought he would annoy everyone else waiting in line too much! ha!


I was ready to tell whoever said anything to us about making it to the first in line that I would gladly trade my special boy for their "normal" kid for a day in the park if they wanted but no one gave us any grief over using the pass. One lady asked how we got that "special magic pass to get at the first of the line" and I pretty much bended her ear with more information about Autism than she clearly needed to know and she slinked away before I could finish my speech.



Magic Kingdom was so beautiful and not at all crowded! Some of the characters were already out and there were lines, but most of them were characters that we would see at breakfasts/dinners anyway, so we skipped them and went straight to Tomorrowland where we walked right onto the teacups!

Is it really Bette Midler?

I love how the mouse comes out at the top of the teapot.

Then we paused for pictures at all the topiary statues across the park since it was Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival. We got to ride Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin ride which was really fun as well. Then Alan took Kylie to Space Mountain and Riley and I chilled on the People mover. It was a 10 minute ride that moved like a train but was dark a lot of the time. We needed that peaceful time. :)





Then we hightailed it over to the Polynesian resort via the Monorail to our first character breakfast at Ohana. It starred Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto. The food was seriously YUMMY!! Plus, our little picky eater found plenty to eat and we all left FULL!


Lilo came to our table and Kylie got her autograph- Riles could care LESS. BUT, when Pluto came around to the table. Riley stood up and was grabbing at his face. Here's just a look at how special Pluto is to Riley-Roo!







I LOVE the Polynesian Resort. I spotted it last time that Alan took me to Disney World and thought for sure the next time we came back we'd be staying there. We didn't stay there this time but I am still holding out for 2012!!






We went back to Magic Kingdom on the monorail and had fun riding more rides. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin's magic carpet ride and saw a spitting camel in Agrabah. We found Peter Pan's Flight and the line was SO long that we used the Riley pass! We absolutely loved the ride. We also rode It's a small world and waited in the line for what seemed like forever!



Then we copped a squat, got Mickey ice cream and sat and waited for the parade. It was hot and we were starting to get a little bit tired. During the parade, Drusella came up to Kylie and told her that Cinderella must have helped make her shirt! I had to whisper to Kylie that she really thought it was cute but was jealous. Kylie said, "I know, Mom!"



After the parade, we came back to our room. Alan and Kylie went swimming in the big pool with everyone else at the resort with the same idea and I stayed in the room with Riles while he played with his new Mickey and Friends toys. I called the front desk to get an awesome pool view so we could actually watch the swimmers and they said they would call me back if it was doable. The resort was 92% full but I still had hope!

We got ready for our Character Princess dinner at Epcot. Kylie had her autograph book all ready and a certain sharpie color for each Princess. I was so glad that Kylie was still excited about seeing the Princesses. We got to Epcot 2 hours before dinner and couldn't check in early. So, Alan and I had an adult beverage, the kids had some fruit and we were walked around until it was dinner time. (Epcot pics on another post- this post just rejected any more pictures!)


When we finally got inside, we had a meet and greet with Belle! Belle is one of our favorites so this was a special part of the deal.





After we were seated, we met Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, and Aurora. They each told Kylie how cute her book was and signed it. We chatted a bit, got a picture, and then Alan had to have his own picture with each of the Princesses. Who's the kid here?


They had great food and drink and we left absolutely stuffed!! We also learned that Riley loves salmon. We walked outside just after the fireworks show and headed back to the hotel with everyone else!

When we came back to the room, I had gotten a message from the front desk. There was an awesome pool-side room available and to call back if we wanted to move in the next day! All you have to do is ask, folks! Well, Alan threw a hissy fit and said he was NOT moving again and I would have to do everything myself!! I was fine with that until he just kept going on and on about it (Tiiiiii- red!!) so I hung up while on hold and let the room go. I was pretty upset that we lost the room just because he was tired and cranky. I planned to really let him have it the next day but when I woke up I was just so happy that we were all there together that I let it go. I think he appreciated that because he surprised me with a present and he NEVER surprises me with presents.
Kylie as the Mean Queen- this is how I felt!!

6 more days at the Happiest Place on Earth!! Tomorrow- Animal Kingdom!!

5 comments:

The Anglin Family said...

Glad ya'll had fun..I already looked through your pics on FB and I am super jealous! Looks like a blast!!
And, I am sure my hubby would have been the same way...just men, LOL. At least he redeemed himself!

monkeysmom said...

I think I found your blog through Kelly Korner a while back - not sure exactly, but I also have a son with autism. He just turned four and we just got back from Disney World too. We also used the GAC and it was a lifesaver! It was crowded and hot when we were there and my son would never have been able to wait in most of lines without it. We were also able to use his stroller as a wheelchair a couple times and that was also a big help. Disney certainly does a good job with special needs kids! We have two other typical kids and for once we were able to go a trip and not feel like we 'stood out', but just felt normal.

Kara said...

Fun! I've never been to Disney World- can you believe it?

courtney said...

well??? what was the surprise present?!

i'm loving your posts and can't wait to read more about your trip! we're planning on going to DW next year with the kids and i'll be calling you for tips!

Traci said...

Monkeysmom- Send me your url- I would love to read your blog and hear all about your monkey!! :)

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....