6.10.2011

Living with Autism

Today I am linking up to Kelly's Korner Show us Your Life- Special Needs Families post. She was kind enough to create a linky for all the parents of these special kids who participate. Thank you, Kelly!


We have a 7 year old son with Autism and I honestly used to ask God "why?" Why us? But now, I see that God has given us Riley because he knows that there isn't a challenge that we won't face without giving 100 percent of our time and patience to. I now consider it an honor that God is trusting me to be Riley's mom and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world!

I'm not saying that it's an easy job by any means. We have days of fits and screaming. We have an older daughter that is not so willing to let him into her life after he ignored her and lashed out at her for the first few years of his life. We have to take turns eating or sitting through a church service because he doesn't understand what whisper or no screaming means. There are huge sacrifices that have to be made if we want to go somewhere as a family.

But the days that he strings a sentence together or includes me or sister in his play, are priceless. And hearing he and Alan wrestle and giggle when Alan gets home from work make me smile so big. It's the little things these days, for sure!

I used to scour the internet hoping to see blogs of parents talking about their children with autism who were doing or did exactly what Riley was doing and never found even one. Probably because the spectrum is SO broad that not all kids with autism are the same or have the same issues. They are all different. Also, because parents aren't that into talking about how different their child is. I mean, who does? But lately I am seeing more and more people who know someone who has autism. And I LOVE that they are talking about it! And just for the record- I can talk about Riley ALL. DAY.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Traci,
This was a great post! I mean I had tears throughout it for I could really feel how much this means to you and how much your precious boy means to you and how great of a mommy you are to him! God chose you two as parents of RILEY for you are the best for him and he knew that! Ya'll overcome so many obstacles everyday and you do it with a smile! When I first met you on here I had no idea Riley had autism....he is such a cute,precious happy little guy and I am so glad that he is thriving above and beyond...pat on the back girl for the more interaction they have with their family the more interaction they give in return and that is why Riley is doing so well because you are the bestest mommy to your kiddos. I know you could talk about him all day everyday that makes me smile and my heart swell

xoxo
Sums

Rachel said...

So nice to read your post! I have a 16 year old brother with Aspberger's and it's nice to see others who are so open and honest about the daily struggles they go through with a loved one who has some form of autism.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....