9.20.2007

Jenny McCarthy on Oprah



Yes, I saw the Oprah with Jenny McCarthy and Holly Robinson-Peete on Tuesday and I learned many things that I didn't know about Autism. Who ever thought that a Playboy Bunny would actually be giving people solid advice? I was leary at first, but she was very genuine and I commend her for telling her story and trying to help other families out.

Here are some things that I learned and also some things that really hit home.

1. Riley has Autism. He is not autistic. ???? I don't know why this matters to parents, maybe it just sounds better. But, believe me, if you have said in the past anything about someone being autistic, it did not offend me.

2. 80% of parents with a child on the spectrum grow apart and typically end up divorcing. I am so thankful that Alan has stepped up to the plate and chosen to face this head-on. He loves Riley and accepts him. He also is involved 100% in Riley's therapy.

3. I have wonderful friends that want to know all about Riley's therapy and constantly ask how he is doing. Not only have they been a great comfort to me, but they accept Riley and love him. There are the occasional "friends" that don't ever utter his name or turn away from us when he is not behaving like a "normal" child. I thought it was so interesting how Jenny said that when someone's child has cancer, people bring you food and lend a sympathetic ear but when someone's child has Autism, they tend to look away and not know how to act. So, so true. :(

4. It is very hard for me to look at pictures or videos of Riley when he was a baby. He was so perfect. But, he is still the same child that I once thought was perfect. No one is perfect, anyways!!!

5. I have no idea what caused Riley's Autism. I am on the fence about the vaccination idea. I do know that after Riley's four month shots he developed a high fever and that's when the seizure-like activities started. Thankfully he only had those for a few months. But, why did he get them at all??

6. A Mother's instinct is never to be reckoned with! When there is something a little off with your child, you absolutely know it! There was no way that I was going to believe that boys talk later than girls or that Riley would "come around in his own time." Early intervention is so important in making a difference.

What would you do? Anything you can to make a difference and to break through that wall. We have had to borrow money and take out loans just to pay for these first critical years. Riley's school is almost an extra house payment per month for just two and a half hours of much needed therapy. We never know where the money is going to come from but God always provides.....plus our families have been very helpful.

Having hope and working with Riley daily has been hard, but hearing him asking me for a cookie, or singing a song that he learned at school has made it all worthwhile. His favorite song is the Days of the Week song that they sing at school. Today, I looked in the floor and was amazed at what I saw. First I asked Kylie if she had been working with Riley's puzzle. When she said, "No" , I was not shocked at what I saw. My little genius had the first letter of each of the days of the week lined up. Since he didn't have two of each letter, he used the second letter of Thursday which is the "H" and the second letter of Saturday, which is "A".



He never seems to amaze me and I love him for that little person that he is and also who he is striving to become. I will never understand why God picked me of all people to be Riley's mother. I would like to take it as a compliment. Image God thinking that Alan and I are strong enough to make a difference in our son's life. I will be honest, though and tell you that I am not ready to thank God for this task just yet, but I am fairly confident that I will be able to one day. I do, however, thank Him for letting me be a part of his life.

8 comments:

Erica said...

Okay, I have now been teary with you twice today:) I love Riley for the little boy that he is each day. I love the accomplishments that he is making at his new, yet expensive school. I love that you and Alan are so committed to each other and to both of your children. I love that I am more educated on autism daily so that I am prepared to be an advocate when opportunity comes my way. I love you!

I pray daily for awareness on autism in society, for it to be placed at the top of things we need to have more research on, I pray for a cure, I pray for all the parents in the ditches daily fighting for their chilren with this disease, I pray that I am a good enough friend to you when you are in the ditches, I pray Riley will accomplish all his hopes and dreams, I pray for the sweet heart Kylie has for her brother, and I pray for your entire family.

I just want you to know that you are never far from my thoughts.

Erica said...

I almost forgot, I love the way Riley put all the letters to the days of the week in order. That is amazing!! Tell him we are so proud of him and give him a big hug from us:)

Alyssa said...

I saw the Jenny McCarthy interview and immediately thought of you and of Alan. The love that you have for Alan, Kylie, and Riley is so transparent to all that know and love you- and your commitment to your precious son is truly amazing. I love to hear all about Riley's school and his progress!

courtney said...

You are such a good mommy! Riley is a lucky, lucky boy to have such informed and caring parents. I can't believe he was able to line up the letters of the days of the week. That's incredible! I know many Kindergartners that can't do that yet! He is so blessed that you and Alan understand the importance of early intervention.

courtney said...

By the way, I'm almost MORE impressed that he used the second letter in Thursday and Saturday than if he had had another T and S. That shows that he is able to problem-solve and reason. What a kid!

Lisa Renee said...

You are amazing parents to an amazing (and handsome) little boy as well as Kylie. How blessed THEY are! I wish I would have seen that show.

mcjacobsjournal said...

I did not see the show either, but now I don't even need to. :) You highlighted the most important parts to YOU and it was so wonderful to read. I've told you before, but I absolutely stand amazed at your ability to learn and grow right alongside Riley, and to share this road with all of us. You are an amazing mom! And, Alan is an amazing dad! We pray for you constantly, especially as you begin this new school and all that comes with it. What an amazing kiddo Riley is! And, I'm so glad you took a picture of his days of the week letters. That is truly precious....and impressive!! Love you all and thanks again for sharing your heart with us.

Lisa Renee said...

I was able to watch bits and pieces of 20/20 last night where Jenny also made an appearance and shared some the things in your post. I was not aware of the wheat and dairy effecting everything. It made me appreciate even more your situation. Definately saying some prayers for your family as you continue school,etc. I wish I were there and able to know you all more. I love being able to do so in this way. Do you feel my long distance air hug? Hope your weekend is a good one.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....