10.30.2008

Happy Halloween!


This is a cute little house that me and the kids drive by after school and they have the most clever pumpkin display ever! That spider-pumpkin is huge and I love the Spongebob pumpkin, the Razorback pumpkin, and that snowman pumpkin on top! 

Speaking of school, the first day went really well. I got to take them to their class and both kids were so excited! Kylie went in and lots of little girls huddled around her. Riley went in and sat down at the table and started eating his breakfast. I went to pick them up and the registrar said, "I heard your son had a great day and he's SO smart!" They both had great days and the next day, Wednesday, Kylie went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch where she had a really fun time.

The office workers explained to me that the easiest way to take and pick up from school was to go through the carpool line. I was like, "What about Riley?" (because they always make such a big deal in Texas about the poor little special needs kids not being able to do what everyone else can do.) But, they said that he goes through the carpool line just like everyone else. One of his teachers will always be on duty to see that he knows exactly where to go.

So, on Wednesday I took them through the drop-off line and when we got to the portico, I told the male teacher on duty that we were first-timers. He said, "Is it Kylie and Riley?" Ahhhhh. He knew to expect them. I am really liking their school!! So, they both got out of the car like pros and I drove away sporting tears of joy!! Happy because they were both school aged and independent and also because I FINALLY get me some MOMMY TIME!!! 

I went shopping all around these parts! I navigated around just to see my new hometown. At one point I looked at some mommies with their preschoolers at the mall and felt a little sad. Those days are definitely over! Now that I think of it, they weren't as great as these mommies were making it look! :)

I almost got to Missouri at one point and then the phone rang......... My son who is NEVER sick, was sick. He was croupy and had a fever. He had a little cough that morning but nothing like when I picked him up at 2:00. 

So, Riles is STILL sick and croupy (tonight is the worst!) and I am thinking that he will miss Halloween festivities at school tomorrow. Too bad because I was going to let him have a sugary cupcake. We are also supposed to go to the Halloween Festival at Aunt Melba's church. Kylie is really excited, though, because she gets to wear her costume to school!! Can you believe it? Who gets to dress up in Halloween attire for school? I tell ya, I'm loving this school!! I just can't wait for another Mommy Day. Get well soon, Riles!

I have to go now because Riley is honking a horn for me. His voice is so horse and he can't call me so he learned to honk that blue Octopus' legs to get my attention. When he honks, I run! 


Riley watching a Wow Wow Wubzzy Music Video with his octopus.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that everything is going so well! Can't believe Riley is in school full-time! How awesome! Sounds like this is perfect for your family! Give Riles a kiss for me...I hope he feels better soon! And tell Kylie her picture is hanging on my fridge.. it really is!

Anonymous said...

Traci,
I am SO glad to hear that Kylie and Riley are doing so well. Their school sounds AWESOME...
Sorry that Riles is sick. Please give him a hug from cousin Katina....Love you guys!

Erica said...

I love the pumpkins you were telling me about! What a creative person. I also am so happy that the transition is going well for all of you just like we prayed. Love you all! Have a Happy Halloween!!

Stephanie said...

Hey Girlfriend,

I'm sitting here with happy tears streaming down my face!! I'm so glad that things are going well for both you and the kids! It sounds like the school is great for both of them and that's where you need to be. You will enjoy those free days and you'll be surprised how fast you can fill that time up!

It's also great that you are around so much family. Even though they are not your side of the family, it's nice to get to know and be around your extended family too. I grew up with lots of cousins that were extended family and had such a wonderful time with all of them.

I will admit that some of those tears are sad too, because you won't be in Texas when we move back. :( I still haven't told Trinity that you have moved. She still asks about Kylie all the time and thanks God for her in her prayers.

Even though things are going great, don't be surprised when the down times hit. You might get lonely in all that free time you have and you might get sad, but it doesn't last for long. Just try to remember that you made the move for your family and that it's the best thing for them right now. It also helps to get out there and make a new friend. It seems like the people are very friendly too. Remember it's a new start for you!

I'm praying for you and sending lots of love your way! Let me know when you're ready to start working again.

Nicole said...

Ok, I thought that pumpkin display was yours before I read what you wrote. And, I sat there looking at it thinking, "that Traci is so talented, she can do anything she sets her mind to". I was also wondering how you managed to pull it together in such a short time. Oh well, I still think you're talented!

These last 2 posts have made me so happy for you! I love to hear the joy and optimism in your "voice". Although I'm sad that you left Texas behind, I mostly want what's best for your family and it sounds like you have found it.

Does Riley still like his octopus? That was a shower gift from me and Alyssa and it makes me happy to see it in the chair with him. Of course, if he just likes to honk it to get your attention, then I'm very sorry that we every picked out that crazy toy!

Love you and look forward to more updates!

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....