Today is Veterans Day and I want to take time to say a special "Thank you!" to all of the men and women who have served our country and continue doing so to fight for our freedom. I also want to acknowledge the families of these heroes who sacrifice loved ones so that we can sleep better at night. God Bless you all!
Some of the men in my life have served in the armed forces and I would like to pay tribute to them today.
Curtis Hardin

Paw-Paw joined the Army and was an MP (Military Police). I can see where people would be frightened of him because he wasn't afraid to use a gun. He could be harsh and tell it like it is, but I fondly remember what a sweet side he had when he saw his grandkids. He loved us and would sacrifice anything for his family. Paw Paw died in 1997 after living with bladder cancer for over five years.
Don Davis

Photo Courtesy of Becky James
Pa joined the Army and worked in one of the commissaries. I just learned that word. It's a grocery store on a military base. It makes sense to me because Pa owned a tiny grocery store while my mom was growing up. He knew everyone that came in and everyone that knew him spoke quite fondly of him.
While I was in college, I waited tables for a local restaurant and when one of the managers found out that Mr. Don Davis was my pa, she told me a story about how much he meant to her family and that if her dad didn't have the money for groceries that week, then Mr. Don Davis would take care of them. I knew he had a kind and tender heart but when you hear a story like that, it makes you smile and be proud of your heritage. Pa died in 1987 from emphysema. He had been sick for many years.
Phillip Smith
My uncle Phil joined the army and served four years in the U.S., France, and Germany. He was an Airborne Ranger and commander of a Special Forces LRRP intelligence gathering company. His company's responsibility was to cover security and intelligence for all of Europe in the event of arisings or war. He was active duty 1964 to 1969 and was a Captain. He then received a promotion to Major and served two more years in the reserves.
I can imagine with his personality and charm that he was nothing short of a great Captain and Major. Uncle Phil emailed me this information and told me that it was truly a highpoint in his life having served. We appreciate you, Uncle Phil!
Keith Rutledge
My father in law, Keith, joined the army right after high-school in 1960. He was stationed in Frankfurt, Germany and was an Intelligence Analyst or as he says, "a glorified clerk doing research and taking data." He returned to the U.S. in 1963 and went to college and earned a degree in law. He has practiced law and has also served as a Judge. Everyone loves Keith. He always has a story to tell and can capture your interest in a variety of topics. He's not afraid to tell me with a huge grin to "quit being so sensitive" in a way that will make you stop and take a look at yourself and ultimately agree.
I am so lucky to have and to have had these men in my life. Their courageous service has contributed to making the United States of America a great place to be! God Bless America!

No comments:
Post a Comment