

It's so hard to believe that Kylie is turning five today! Just over five years ago, my doctor told me in my 8th week of pregnancy that I had suffered a miscarriage. Alan and I were so sad because we desperately wanted to start having a family and the idea of losing a child was unbearable. When I went back for a pre-op visit for a dnc, the doctor just wanted to make sure that there was no heartbeat and did another sonogram. When he announced, "I have a heartbeat!," I yelled to get Alan back in the room.
We were so excited and couldn't wait for all the other little surprises that this little baby had in store for us. I just knew in my heart that it was a boy so I was really attached to the name, Riley. When we found out that the baby was a girl, I was already in love with her and Alan was just smitten! The look on his face is one that I will never forget. He has been enamored with her ever since he laid eyes on her and stood over her while her heart was being closely monitored just after delivery.
Kylie had more surprises in store for us. She was breech. The doctors scheduled an appointment to try and turn her. They explained that if they couldn't turn her, they would do a c-section immediately. If they were successful in turning her, I would go home that day. Not a big deal except for the fact that my parents had just left town and Alan's parents were in Arkansas. Do we tell them to be there for the birth even though I might get to go home without having her? We finally decided that the first grandchild for both families was a HUGE deal and we went ahead and summoned my parents home from their vacation and told Keith and Nancy to come on down!


At 8:29 am on Friday the 13th, July 2001 our 5 lb. 6 oz. princess emerged. Yeah, that's right. I scheduled a c-section on Friday the 13th! It didn't bother us one bit, either! She was beautiful and perfect with thick, red lips and a button nose. She didn't have a name yet but she had other things to worry about. Her breathing was heavy and she was being closely monitored by the nursing staff. I was so glad that all of my family was there to see her and be scared for me. Although I knew in my heart that she was going to be just fine!
I didn't get to see her because of all the monitoring and tubes so I decided at midnight I was going to get in a wheelchair and go to her. That's just what I did and I am so glad because it was there that Alan and I looked at her and thought that she would be a perfect Kylie! (Not thinking that I would ever have a boy for the name Riley.......That's the story on that!)

Kylie has been the sweetest and most sensitive little girl that I have ever known. There is not one moment of the day that I don't want to be with her, talking and laughing, discovering and answering questions, letting her know that she is just as special as her little brother who she loves so much. She is so unique and has a mind of her own. She can tell you the location of all 50 states and has the memory of an elephant. She loves to swim, draw and wear her pajamas around the house all day. She is starting to bake with me and help around the house. Where did all the time go?


Alan and I are so lucky to be sharing this little girl of God. Why He picked me to be her mother, I will never understand. She is nothing like I thought my little girl would be, but everything that I never knew that I wanted. She has made me look at the world in a different light. I never knew how to be really scared and worry until I had her. I want her to see the world and learn from her mistakes, yet I never want to see her hurt. I want her to love the Lord and not be afraid to take a stand. I want her to be the best that she can be. I want her to always be happy. I love my little girl and I am so thankful that she depends on me and loves me back. When she says, "Mommy, I want to be just like you!" I melt. I feel really lucky!!
We also couldn't have asked for a more patient and loving sister for Riley. She wants him to play with her and love her back. Bath times are the greatest because he will let her tickle him. She also loves for him to talk and give her sugar.

Happy Birthday, Kylie! Mommy and Daddy love you so much! Don't ever forget to be you and that's all you have to be! You are a child of God!
11 comments:
What a wonderful sweet post about a very special 5 year old. It is so true that all of your expectations and ideas you have always had about what your kids would be like just disappear when God gives you the perfect baby that was meant to be yours. It's good to know that someone who knows so much better than we do is looking out for us:)
Happy Birthday Kylie!
Happy Birthday precious girl!! We wish we could be there celebrating with you today. I am so glad that we have had the pleasure of knowing you for most of your life so far. The Lord truly blessed you with a wonderful family and friends who treasure you dearly. May the next year bring even more joy than the last.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KYLIE! You are one precious girl!!! Enjoy your day!
Traci,
This blog made me cry! You are so sweet. Your love for Kylie (and Riley!) and your family just shines through!! You are a great Mom and Kylie is one lucky little girl. Just as you are so blessed to have her, she is also blessed to have you and Alan.
Love you all,
Katina
Happy Birthday, Kylie!! Five is a big one!
Traci, what sweet words for your sweet angel! I hope y'all have a great day together!
What a wonderfully sweet post! I am so glad that God gave Kylie to you and that we all get to watch her grow! I hope she had a wonderful birthday!
Traci!! What a tear jerker!!! 5 years old!! I could hardly get through this post without tears!! What precious words to describe your precious gift from God. I remember meeting tiny little Kylie when I was quite big pregnant with Mary Alice and thinking what a beautiful baby she was. I hope she has a wonderful birthday and God blesses your family with many more happy moments together.
Traci, I loved what you said about Kylie - it's so true. She is a very special little girl and Poppy and I love her dearly. I sometimes wish we could freeze her in time so she'll always be this little, but I'm also looking forward to watching her grow and learn more. She's changing more everyday. I hope you always blog about Kylie and Riley so they will know someday what a special mommy and daddy they have.
I am crying!! That was such a sweet tribute to your precious daughter. She is so lucky to have a mom who loves her just as God made her, and celebrates her strengths like you do! Y'all have a HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY!!!
Happy Birthday Kylie!
I loved looking at all of the pictures of her growing into a sweet & beautiful little girl.
She is treasured by many.
Happy Birthday Miss Kylie!! I am very proud of you and I know your mommy is very proud as well!! God is SOOO good to us =)
Happy Birthday Kylie!
That was the BEST post. I loved all the pics and the tribute to her sweet 5 year old life! Trinity loves Kylie so much. Kylie is in her prayers every night!
Post a Comment