Then, in 7th grade I tried out for cheerleader and made it! I think that was one of the happiest days of my youth. I was fortunate enough to make the squad every year and made so many friends and such great memories. Fridays were great because we got to wear our uniforms to school because of the pep rally. I was soon one of those girls that was flipping all over the floor. Then the Friday night game that everyone in town came to see. We had so much fun cheering at the game and flipping on the field. The best was when we went to playoffs and got to cheer at Texas Stadium.
That feel of Friday night games still stays with me and sometimes I really miss it. My dad coached football for many years and since he retired I have yet to go to another game. It's just not the same since our town now has two high schools and no one really goes back for Homecoming.
Hopefully some day one or both of my kids will want to be a part of the Friday night football experience in some way. I'm not holding my breath for Kylie to be a cheerleader, though. She's already told me that "Cheerleading is not my style!" Maybe she will change her mind. Here's hoping!

Me in 7th grade! Look at those wings on the Dorothy Hammil!!
9 comments:
awww! fun times! :) I love how your megaphone & uniform are personalized with your name! {do you still have them?} my Mom still has her high school cheerleading sweater {she lived in Kentucky then} from when she cheered back in the day~I love it~so nostalgic! ;)
Ashley-
So good to hear from you! Do you have a blog or someway that I can contact you? Tell your family I said hi!!
Traci! Too funny! My favorite part of the uniform is the socks! :)
Where did you grow up?
I have great Friday night memories, too. I wasn't a cheerleader, but I loved football Fridays and have a lot of good road trip memories. In fact, my old high school played in Lubbock last night and we went to the game. My school still has many of the same coaches--it was a step back in time!
Courtney-
I went to Mckinney High School! Go Lions!!
Don't you wish you still lived there so Landry could wear those socks someday?
Yes....I wish I did still live there, but it has nothing to do with the socks. :(
Look at you!!!
So great!!!!!!
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
Must make Alan so proud! :)
Now, that was a perfect Dorothy Hammill! You were too cute. I was on Drill Team in High School and loved performing at half-time and at pep rallies. I think that is why I loved high school so much. I cheered in college, but I was NOT a flipper.
Look at you back in the 7th grade--Farrah Fawcett, watch out!!;) That is so you, being a cheerleader. You have always been so outgoing, cheerful and fun to be around. I bet you were a hoot to be around even then!
That's hilarious Traci! Nice hair! I'm so jealous of you. I always wanted to be a cheerleader, but my dad said the skirts were too short and wouldn't let me. I had to settle on pep squad, band and flag corps! A lousy substitute! I was so deprived.
Post a Comment