5.18.2010

Branson- not just for the oldies!

So, when Alan brought up the idea to take the kids to Branson on a mini-vacation, I asked why. I had no intention of dragging them to the Andy Williams show that my mom and grandmother adore so much. But it seems that Branson is not only for the oldies anymore. We had a really fun time!!


Alan insisted that we leave early Wednesday morning even though I had just stepped off a flight from Dallas the following night. Not only did I have to drag my tired butt out of bed, I had to repack, pack the kids, and make sure the house was in tip-top shape since my parents would be here when we got back. It was hard to do, but the kids were so happy and so ready to get there.


We took the windy road up there and are thankful that no one got sick. I have heard stories! The sun was out and the kids were laughing and excited........until we got to Silver Dollar City and the marquee stated that it was CLOSED! Oh, the thoughts of Vacation ran through our head and I couldn't wait to tell our family about our big Griswold mistake. Thinking back- we knew that it was closed on Wednesday but planned to go up and spend the night to be first at the park the next morning.



So, we went and found a miniature golf course and had so much fun playing! Riley even got into it! I love it when he wants to do what the rest of the family does. That kid loves vacations and is not afraid to try new things. Kylie is always great so we didn't have to worry about her!




We went back to the hotel and took the kids to the indoor water park. I have NO pictures I am sad to say. I knew that Kylie would have the time of her life with Alan and I was prepared to sit there with Riley because he has not stepped into a swimming pool in close to 3 years. We watched them tube down the Lazy River and in no time at all, Riley looked at me and said, "Get in!" So, I delightfully grabbed a tube and helped him in. I kept a strong grip on him and he loved every minute of it. I handed him over to Alan and in no time at all, he was splashing him and even guiding him under a small water fountain. We stayed until dinner and both kids did not want to leave! We are so glad that Riley may love the water this year. Sounds like it's time for swim lessons!


The next day we headed out to Silver Dollar City!! It was cloudy and cool and when we pulled up, the bottom dropped out of the sky! We let it rain for a few and then caught the tram to go into the park. I was the only one without a rain or slicky jacket so we bought one for me. As soon as we stepped into the park, I didn't need it anymore. The rain subsided and we got to do everything that we wanted to do that day. It did start raining at about 3:00 but by then we were ready to go to the water park!

Some of the fun things we did were watching most of the jobs that people in the late 1800's would do. We saw a candle maker, a glass blower, a blacksmith, it was a little learning experience and Kylie was taking it all in. We were so proud of Riley because this is the FIRST time that we went to a theme park or zoo where we haven't gotten a stroller or little red wagon. He walked with us the whole time!!

We were also excited that we got him on more rides than ever before. The runaway mine train type ride that we stuck him on first thing was a little more scary that what he was used to. Alan said that he was laughing at first and then sheer terror swept over his face. We asked him if he wanted to ride the "train" again and he quickly shouted "NO!" So, Kylie and I rode it again and again. He did ride the water rides and the kiddie rides. His very favorite ride was the teacups. So we rode those a lot!

That night we went to Cantina Laredo by the new mall and had the best dinner! There was some kind of light/fire show on the lake behind the restaurant. It was a mini-Bellagio experience. We all slept really well that night!


We woke up Friday and were going back to Silver Dollar City for a couple of hours before we drove home to get ready for my parents' visit that night. It was pouring down rain and we stayed in the park about an hour before we decided that there was no end in sight for the rain. We have never been so soaked!! Good thing we have Season Passes or we would have felt slighted. We all got into our pj's in the car and headed home.


It was a great mini-vacation and we can't wait to go back!! I didn't get the camera out because of the rain so next time we are going to get a little camera to take in my backpack. I did take some with my phone but what's a vacation without pictures to remember it by many years later? We will definitely remember this rainy vacation with smiles! There's just something about being with family!

5 comments:

Auntie D said...

Looks like you all had a great time!! We are heading to Branson with my family over Memorial Day weekend. We have started making it a tradition each year. Can't wait for a little getaway. Love the Cantina!! :)

Jen said...

Okay so next time you are THAT close to me (literally 35 minutes) we have to get together!!!! Not that you wanted me on your mini-vacay.... :)

So glad you had a blast. We love Silver Dollar City and can't wait until Lauren gets a little bit older and can really enjoy it. We've been a couple of times with her, but obviously it was a lot of work!!!! :)

Glad to see you are back to blogging. Love you, friend!!!

Maggi said...

What an amazing mini-vacation! That looks like so much fun, I am ready to get out of here for a while! :D

Unknown said...

Congrats Momma! When everyone in the family enjoys the vacation (mini or not) you know you did something right.

Summer said...

Sounds like an AWESOME mini-vacay! Your pic of Clark Griswald cracked me up, like laugh right out loud crack me up!! I am so glad Riley had so much fun! How awesome he got in the water and rode lots of rides with ya'll! That is amazing!! I am glad your whole family had a blast even if it did rain a little or alot LOL....

The pics are great.....
That indoor water park sounds awesome and looks amazing....how fun :0)

xoox
Summer

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....