
This is Frederick T. Varacchi. He was 35 years old and lived in Greenwich, Connecticut. He was a loving father to three children, Thomas, now 13, Corinne, 11, and Tyler, almost 7. He was a devoted husband to Eileen, who he met in Biology Class at their local high school. He was a son to Betty Scanlon, and a brother to six older siblings. He is described as witty, level-headed, and always looking out for others. Friends say that he "always did the right thing." He enjoyed riding his motorcycles, playing golf, and spending time with his family. He would also coach his childrens' soccer and lacrosse teams.
Varacchi worked as Chief Operating Officer at Cantor Fitzgerald, a global trading company located on the 105th floor of Tower One at the World Trade Center. His wife, Eileen, had reached him on his cell phone right after learning that American Airlines Flight 11 had struck the North Tower where he was working. She was able to briefly speak with him and had learned that he was trapped in his office and could not get out.
His work demanded long hours and travel, yet he always made time for his family and friends. My heart goes all to all who did know him and are still missing him now, five years later. I know that his children must miss their father and hang on to the memories that they remember of him. I hope that his wife can find comfort in knowing what a good man he was and how he left her with a piece of him, their children.
None of us will forget what happened that day. I will never forget how Alan and I watched the towers get hit by the planes and then fall. I was thinking of the victims families since we had just buried my sister in law the month before. I had a two month old little girl and I didn't feel safe in my Texas home. I watched everything about that day and am still haunted by how scared those people on the planes, in the towers, at the Pentagon, and on the ground in New York felt. Not to mention the spouses of all the people that had to say goodbye on the phone.
I will be praying and thinking of these people on this September 11, 2006. Five years later and we will not forget! God bless them all.
4 comments:
Beautiful tribute to Frederick T. Varacchi. You brought him to life for us. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and children.
Beautiful... thank you so much!
i was a high school friend and just found out a little less than a year ago.he was a nice guy then,so sad.my i pray for him and his family.godspeed
A lovely tribute. May his family and friends know that they are held in the hearts of many.
Thanks for your post.
Post a Comment