2.06.2007

Divine Intervention

Is it a coincidence or divine intervention? You decide.

One night I prayed really hard that I would receive some sort of sign from God about my 19 month old little boy who was not talking and seemed a little out of sorts. The next day, I walked outside to get the mail when I saw the next door neighbor and stopped to chat with her. We talked about her little boy, Riley, who is Kylie's age and how he had just been diagnosed with autism. We were on "hello" and "see ya later" terms with these neighbors and Alan had often referred to them as "The Friendlys" because they often kept to themselves......now we knew why. They were really struggling with the fact that their only child had closed up and stopped talking or communicating at the age of two. As I was listening to her, I watched her Riley in the front yard and he was making some of the same noises that I had often heard from my Riley. Not only that, he looked really familiar. It hit me like a ton of bricks. He acts just like my Riley. MY RILEY HAS AUTISM, TOO!!!

Not long after, our neighbors put their house on the market and moved away. I was really sad because I felt like I could really learn from their experiences and we also could have shared some sort of bond. Maybe this was God's way of making me get out there and search on my own to find all the possible options for my little boy. After all, I never would have found Mrs. B who is practically responsible for Riley doing some of the things he is doing now. And, I would have never become so close to some of the amazing women at my church who encourage me daily and make me and Riley feel normal.

Well, the house has been empty for over a year and today when I pulled up I saw a strange man in the garage but my old neighbor's car. It turns out that the neighbors are getting a divorce because the husband just didn't want to put forth the effort anymore (80% divorce rate for parents of autistic children) and the wife and her new boyfriend are going to be living there again. I spoke to both of them and he seems really nice and she even offered up a book on potty-training to me. We talked for a long time and exchanged stories, thoughts, and feelings. I feel really excited about having someone so close with a common bond. I probably won't be asking for relationship advice but she knows way more than I do about doctors, allergists, the school system and services that I should be asking for that may help Riley.

So I wonder.........is this just a random coincidence or does this have God's fingerprints all over it? The answer is in the title.

4 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

Maybe you are a tool for God in her life as well? That is really neat and of course I know its not coincidence. God is way too complex for that! You seem like such an incredible person. I wish I had gotten to know you more when we lived in Dallas. I always heard such nice things about you from MichaelAnn. I have a fun memory of you just handing Kiley to Wade with a smirk b/c of his fear (at the time) of holding babies!!! I laughed out loud at his face. Anyway, on a more serious note......I think your neighbor is blessed to have your family in their lives.

Anonymous said...

I love that you will have that kind of support right next door! I really treasure the friendship we have made. You are a wonderful friend and a really great mommy to those two sweet kids.
Tracey

Candice said...

Don't you love the way God provides for every need! I agree with Lisa, I know this new relationship will be a blessing to you both. Thank you for sharing that story and your life experience, Traci. You are blessing many with your openness.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Wow, Traci. That is an amazing story and I know you must be thrilled to have such a source of knowledge and encouragement living next door! I hope and pray that you will both be the "light" that the other one needs, as you both continue to do all the best things for your precious boys.

I'm continuously inspired by you and your honesty, as well as your sweet heart for not only Riley, but for children with autism in general. We've all learned so much through you!!

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....