2.18.2007

I FINISHED!

It was cold, I was miserable, but I did it!

Alan and I were really excited about getting back into the 5K routine. We woke up, put on our Under Armour gear, grabbed some waters, and we were out the door by 7:30.
Destination: Hard Rock Cafe.
Motive: Exercising, NOT EATING at the Hard Rock Cafe :(

There were lots of people and I was nauseous right before the race began. I started out jogging and actually did great the first mile. I had set my sights on two people around me.......I do this every race. I pick someone out and I think "I AM NOT GOING TO LET THEM BEAT ME!" This time I picked out a girl around my size and a really cute girl alot smaller than me. I actually ended up beating "cute girl" and I think the other one passed me down the last stretch.

Along the last stretch and throughout the race there are these teens standing at random places and every time you pass them, they cheer for you. I always get teary eyed, it just really touches me. That is one reason that I kept pushing and finally crossed the finish line. Another is the fact that at one point I looked back and didn't see very many people! Oh, the embarrassment of coming in last! Sweet Alan is always clapping and cheering me on, too. :)

After I finished, I just sat down and cried. My throat was tight and I was coughing really bad. That cold air made it harder than racing in the spring or summer. After a couple of hours, I was really glad that I had finished. Today I am really sore but I am on a mission to finish the next race with a great time. It will also be longer and I will surely get lapped by a banana, a jamba juice, people with green hair.......................you see where this is going.

6 comments:

Tracey said...

I am so proud of you for doing a 5K again. I would definitely be behind you so you would always finish before me!

courtney said...

GREAT JOB!! I'm so glad you didn't get passed by any mascots in this race!!

mcjacobsjournal said...

WAY TO GO TRACI!!!! I'm so impressed with your self-discipline to train and run like that. I really don't think I would ever make it to the end. I'm so proud of you! And, you're such a great example to your kids of sticking with something, even when it is hard. Just the thought of having a tight throat and cold wind makes me want to lay on my couch under a blanket. You're such a better woman than me! :)

Erica said...

I am so proud of you sweet friend! Way to go!! You know that I would not be out there running with you. I was cheering for you in spirit though. Keep up the good work!

hollyfouts said...

Great job! I LOVE the feeling of a good long run. I wish I lived there...I'd run with you. Ever since my running buddy got pregnant, I have done SO BAD!

Nicole said...

Yea for Mrs. Traci! I hope your body has recovered and your leg cramp from earlier in the week has not reared it's ugly head again.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....