3.14.2006

First Day

Today was the first day of Riley's intense therapy. It's called ABA Applied Behavioral Analysis for those of you that don't know what that means. It is alot of "Riley do this" (clap my hands) and "Riley say this" (muh) which he is not very fond of. We want him to start imitating motions and sounds for mastery. Alot of the words he says are so inconsistent. We would really like to see an improvement so he won't be so frustrated when he is trying to tell us something.

Colleen came today and started us off, and I gotta tell ya, I was frustrated by the middle of the session. He was not very happy that we were making him stay in one room and asking him to perform for us. When he would do or say something, we would reward him with jelly beans which are his new favorite. By the end of the session, he was showing me that he MIGHT actually learn from this method. He wasn't doing it on command, but he would do one of the things we had asked earier of him just to get a jelly bean. After his nap, he said book, banana, mama, up, cookie, thank you and outside all on his own! Another huge step for him was when I was blowdrying my hair this afternoon. He came to get me and when I turned off the blowdryer, I heard the knocking on the door. He led me to the door where Nana, Poppy and Kylie were all trying to get in. (They took Kylie to see Eight Below!) Amazing for Riley to be aware of anything like that. I'm so proud of my little boy!!!

I will post often on his therapy just so I will have it documented and I won't have to remember when each person asks me how it's going!! Not that you can't ask me because I love to talk about my kids! Who doesn't?

Also, it's supposed to get better before it gets worse so please say prayers for me and Alan as well as Riley!! Also for Kylie as sometimes she feels that Riley gets ALOT of attention!

8 comments:

kelly w said...

congrats on your first day of ABA! i am an occupational therapist who happened upon your blog through the 6 degrees of separation of kevin bacon (ha!) you are truly doing what is BEST for little riley. i have seen AMAZING results from ABA. it sounds like he did much more than most kids do their first session! thanks for keeping the blog world updated on your journey!!!

Traci said...

Thank you, Kelly! Please keep encouraging me because this is SO hard!!

Anonymous said...

Traci,
I am so proud of you and Alan! I can imagine that therapy must be hard and very frustrating sometimes, but always remember that you are doing what is best for Riley! He is such a sweet little boy and I am so happy that he made progress on his first day of the new therapy.
Love you guys!
Katina

Erica said...

I am going to repeat this often...You and Alan are wonderful Christian parents!! Both of your children are very lucky to have you as their advocates in life. I know how frustrating this time is for you with all the structure and rules but you are doing what Riley needs and it obviously is working well so far:) I love all of your sweet family and we pray for you all daily. I will talk to you soon. Maybe tomorrow on the way home.

Stephanie said...

I happened upon your blog through Kristen and just wanted to let you know that ABA therapy is a great plan! I had the opportunity to work with several little ones while I was in college using ABA therapy and saw wonderful results. Good luck!

courtney said...

Good luck to you all during Riley's therapy! I know it is probably very trying, but y'all are doing great things for him!

Alyssa said...

I echo everyone else, Traci! I know that what you are doing for Riley is so hard and such a huge committment, but I hope you know that we are all behind you 100%! I love your sweet family- and have a special spot of Riley in my heart..I hope this is a great fit for him.

Jenny said...

Hang in there Traci! I said a prayer for you and Riley today.
Blessings,
Jenny

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....