3.30.2006

The Best Birthday EVER!!!

Today was probably one of the best birthdays that I have ever had. I know that I said that after I got a car when I turned sixteen. And when my friends threw me a surprise party for my twenty-first! But, I really mean it this time. It was truly the best one because of the present that I was given. I don’t mean all the presents from my Sunshine School class. Which were VERY nice, by the way. Or the VERY thoughtful gifts from my friends and family. What I am talking about is the first five minutes of the morning and the last five minutes of the evening.

Early this morning, I woke up to a pretty little four-year old face smiling back at me. “Happy Birthday, Mommy!” she said and crawled into bed with me for a couple minutes of snuggling! I melted! I also thanked Alan for reminding Kylie the night before.

We had a lot of things planned for the day and they all turned out to be fun and painless. It took twenty–five minutes to get out of Sachse (little Frisco) this morning. Ugghhh! Also, when I got to school I realized it was Wheel Day! Oops! I didn’t bring ANYTHING for the kiddos. Fortunately there was enough transportation for them to share. After lots of partying at school we had therapy and Riley’s six month review. He did GREAT in therapy and was imitating and so sweet! It seems like he has grown up a little the past couple of weeks. He is just aware and more attentive. I am so proud of my little boy! Anyways, we went out to eat at T.G.I.F. and Kylie slept in the booth the whole time. Even when they came and sang Happy Birthday to me, she was still sacked out! Riley sat in the booth the whole time we were there and ate and played and was such a big boy. That kid surprises me more each day! We were going to see Curious George but there were no showings past five. So, we came home and after more birthday phone calls, I was ready to watch The Office! So ironic that it was Michael's birthday!

The last five minutes that made me smile the most was reading time with Riley. I decided to get the picture book of his favorite things out just to see if he would take notice. Not only did he say what the pictures were, he was actually POINTING to the pictures while saying the word! INCREDIBLE!!! This sounds like such an easy task but this is something that we have been waiting for a long time to see. I am so overwhelmed right now and I feel truly blessed for this gift that was given to me tonight!

What a great day! Thank you for all the phone calls, cards, gifts, and happy wishes.You know who you are. It was REALLY the best birthday ever! Those first and last moments will last for a lifetime!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Traci,
I am SO sorry I missed your birthday! Mom and I have been sick with that horrible stomach virus that is going around. She got sick last Friday night and I got it Sun. night. Fever and throwing up for 3 days straight! I thought I was gonna die...
I am finally back at work today and catching up on all your blogs. Glad you had the best birthday ever!!
Love you,
Katina

hollyfouts said...

Glad you had a great birthday! It really is those little moments that mean the most to all of us!

Erica said...

It was good to talk to you yesterday:) I am so glad you had a wonderful day and an enjoyable meal. I cannot wait to see Riley and hear his new words. You are doing so good with him!! Kylie is so sweet to cuddle with you...I am lucky if Kaylee will lay with me for 2 seconds before saying she is hungry. Love ya!!

Alyssa said...

Happy Birthday, Traci! I tried to have Camryn yesterday in honor of you.... but no luck! I am so excited about Riley's progress! That is so awesome! Lauren was so glad that he was at school today- she loves him and so do I!

courtney said...

I'm glad you had such a great birthday! You've got sweet kiddos!

Jenny said...

I taught children with autism for a couple of years in Plano, so I know that the "pointing" thing is a REALLY big deal! Way to go Riley! Way to go Traci!
Happy Birthday!
jenny

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....