6.04.2009

School is O. U. T.

Mrs. Miller, Mrs.U, & Mrs. S (teacher and 2 aides)

Today is THE last day of school for the kids and I spent my last free day pampering and enjoying myself. That's right, I pampered myself. More about that later...

I walked the kids to their classroom in this particular school for the very last time. I hugged all six of Riley's specials and teachers, gave them each their own photo magnet of Riley as a gift, thanked them and then walked outside and lost it! I was a little sad that we are moving on but took a minute outside of the school to thank God for putting us here in NW Arkansas where my kids seem to be thriving! 

I'm not going to lie- it was really hard to have faith in God when Riley was diagnosed with Autism. Our world turned upside down and I just didn't see how it could ever get better. Frankly, I didn't know if Riley would get any better. I didn't know if he would ever say, "Momma", "I love you" or be potty trained. He has surpassed all of those goals and surprises us everyday. Now I am at a place where I thank God frequently for everything that is happening in our lives. I am trying not to take things for granted and deal with small obstacles one day at a time. 

So, to say that we are proud of the direction that he is going is an understatement. Sometimes it's just plain exhausting. And just when we think we have had enough, Riley gives us something to smile about and thank God for the little boy that we are learning more about everyday!

So back to me pampering myself. My friend, Erica, sent me a poem that she found on another blogger's site. You can read it HERE. I certainly don't think that I am an angel- I am a realist, people. But I do think of myself as someone who loves to laugh and have a good time and I am DEFINITELY a little selfish and impatient. The poem actually gives me strength to keep going and that I am making a difference in Riley's little life.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I think you are an angel and your post proves it because you do not give yourself near enough credit. I am so proud of the way you have thrived with Kylie and Riley. They are amazing because they have you as a Mom always pushing them both to do their best and try new experiences. You have pushed yourself out of your comfort zone too and are even more amazing each day!! I love you and am so blessed to be able to have you as one of my best friends. My only complaint is that you live too far from me;-)

Maggi said...

Yay, no more school! (That was my attitude when I was in school anyway, lol) We treated a couple of Autistic kids when I worked in a chiropractic office, so glad to hear that your Riley is doing great! You're a fabulous mother, partly because you realize that you have to pamper yourself now and then, it helps doesn't it? Now, I need to follow that line of thought and go get a pedicure! lol

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....