11.21.2008

Kimberly and Kylie


This is a story that is long overdue. It's a story about God working in people's lives. A lot of times, we aren't aware of who we inspire on this earth. And when we leave here and go home to Heaven, there are people that are left behind who remember us and the good things that we did and the person that we were. My late sister in law, Kimberly was a person who worked for the Lord everyday in some way. Whether it was small or big, she did what she could to live for the Lord and let Him shine through her. 

Kimberly has been gone now for seven years. I know that because Kylie is seven now and was just three weeks old when God came for Kimberly. Five years after her death, we learned of someone who was inspired by Kimberly. Here's how it goes:

Kylie had just started Kindergarten and was lucky enough to have Katelyn, a daughter of some of our church friends, in her class at school. Katelyn also came home with us after school so these two came to be really close friends. I was glad that Kylie had already known someone in her class at school. I believe that because of that, she ventured out and made other friends in her class. I kept hearing about Kimberly. Kimberly was so funny and Kimberly did this on the play ground, SO many stories about Kimberly.  I told Kylie, "Well we will just have to meet Kimberly's mom and have her over someday!" I said the words, but I wasn't planning on doing the legwork. That's when God stepped in.

I always got out of the car to go pick up Kylie after school. I met her just as she was coming out the doors and then we had to rush to go pick up Riley at another school. I didn't have time for small talk with parents I didn't know and frankly I always had on sweats and didn't feel just wonderful at that time of day! Well, one Monday I happened to be standing by a sweet looking mommy about my age and I just felt like talking. I asked her what grade her child was in and this led up to, "YOU are Kimberly's Mom? I have been wanting to meet you!" So we set up a time for them to come over. IF you know me, I don't usually invite people over. I don't know why, I love my house, I just feel awkward. I did invite Belinda and Kimberly over the next Monday and the girls had so much fun. Giggling and laughing like they had known each other for years! Belinda and I talked alot and it really didn't take long for us to realize what Kimberly had planted five years previous. 

Belinda started out with, "I don't know how long you have lived here but I was wondering if you ever knew a sweet couple that lived down in the corner of your street...." I stopped her. "Are you talking about Jeff and Kimberly?"

"Yes. You knew them?" asked Belinda.

"Jeff is my brother, Kimberly was my sister-in-law." I stated.

Silence. Both of our eyes starting filling up with tears. I could hear "Love One Another" playing in the background and I always get chills and fill up with love on that song.

Belinda went on to tell me that she worked with Kimberly and they were close. They had walked together in the neighborhood after work and Kimberly was so excited when Belinda had gotten pregnant right before she died. I also found out that little Kimberly was named after Kimberly! 

How special that my daughter who didn't have a chance to meet her wonderful Aunt Kimberly, now has a playmate with her namesake! What are the chances that these two just happened to be in the same class at school? We even held Kylie back a year! What are the chances that two women strike up a conversation while waiting for their two girls? Call it what you want, but I see God's fingerprints all over this encounter.



This is Kylie and Kimberly right before we moved away last month. They had a play date at Kimberly's house and then they came over to our house while Belinda and I got to catch up again. We are planning another playdate for next week. We are definitely keeping in touch! I know that Kylie misses Kimberly. She hasn't quite found that person here who makes her laugh as much as Kimberly did! How Belinda got these two to look serious is beyond me!!

Doesn't it feel good to know that once you are gone from this place, someone can remember something you did for them and pass it on? I can only hope that I have touched someone's life in a way that will carry on when I am gone. Kimberly brought so many people into our lives after her death. She brought people who have changed our life and our children's lives. She brought us all closer to God, especially Alan. We definitely miss her, but we will never forget her! :)


Kylie and Kimberly at the Thanksgiving Feast last year

8 comments:

Tracey said...

What a wonderful, touching story.
It is amazing how God works in all our lives.

Lisa Renee said...

Wow. That is just all I can say. Wow.

Nicole said...

Thank you for sharing this story. I'll never forget the first time I laid eyes on you...you were holding your 3 week old baby at the funeral. It was all so terrible, and I remember wondering how you were dealing with being a new mommy at the same time you were suffering through that horrible tragedy. It must have been overwhelming and surreal for you. I still think of Kimberly OFTEN along with your family and her sweet family. I think it is remarkable that she has a namesake that is now Kylie's friend. What an unexpected blessing for your family!

Anonymous said...

Amazing and beautiful.

Amy said...

That's just an awesome story. Thank you for relating it here.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that story! Isn't it amazing how God works sometimes?! He does have a plan even when it's so hard for us to see it! Kudos to you for recognizing God's hand in Kylie's sweet friendship. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Traci,
Beautiful...
Isn't our God amazing? Thanks for sharing that story. I didn't know Kimberly well, but I remember her sweetness and her obvious love and devotion to Jeff.
Blessings to all of you...Happy Thanksgiving...Love you,
Katina

Shiloah Baker said...

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it. We never know when our turn on earth will be over. ((((hugs)))) You have such a beautiful daughter!

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....