This weekend, we traveled to Little Rock to see Meemaw and Peepaw. It was Alan's 35th Birthday and Meemaw scored us tickets to see Junie B. Jones and A Little Monkey Business at the Children's Theatre. She got the tickets for Kylie and Alan was kind enough to accompany us even though he would have rather watched the Hogs lose. But, that's another story.
So we woke up early and made the beautiful trip through Arkansas. Let me just say that the scene was spectacular. The mountains were beautiful and colorful and it looked like you could just roll off in one fell swoop. The kids loved the tunnel through the mountain that we got to drive through. The best part is that it only took us 2 1/2 hours to get there. So much better than the 5 1/2 to 6 from Texas!
The kids were so excited to be at Meemaw and Peepaw's and Meemaw offered to keep Riley while Kylie, Alan, and I went to the play.
Let me just talk about Junie B. Jones for a couple of minutes. Kylie has read every book about 5 times each. She loves the stories and thinks Junie is hilarious. We were so proud of her reading chapter books, that I never really read one of these books cover to cover. I hear stories that Kylie brings up from time to time, plus, the teacher read these books last year in Kindergarten- what could be wrong with them?
Plenty, I tell ya. While Alan and I were watching Junie B.'s attitude in the play, we felt like we were watching Kylie in "one of her moods" at home. She has totally channeled Junie's character- and not the good part, if there is one. Sure, the play was funny and cute, but.........
Alan and I are really going to start promoting chapter books where the main character has a sweet disposition and is more respectful to all around.
Other than that eye opener, we had a great visit with Alan's parents and some great food celebrating Alan's great 35 years on this earth. The trip always ends with a walk to the awesome park in their neighborhood for some playtime!
Happy Birthday, baby! We love you and are so proud of all that you have accomplished- especially in the past 3 months. Thank you for taking care of us and always giving us that laugh!
5 comments:
Hmmmmm, I didn't know that about Junie, either. I bought a box set of those books for Landry last year when she was in Kindergarten. She only read about 1/3 of one of the books and didn't really like it. Now, I guess I'm kind of glad she didn't! She's way more interested in any books about animals.
Glad y'all had a good weekend! Looks like fun!
Yep. I bought the Junie B. boxed set for Trinity a couple of years ago and read them to her thinking they would be cute and fun, kind of like the Ramona books. I had heard how great they were and that the kids loved them. Let me just say that I had to edit a lot of it! Couldn't she have written those books with a little nicer attitude and language?
Trinity loved the Princess Ellie The Pony Crazed Princess books and the Rainbow Fairy books!
I'm so proud of Kylie and her reading. Trinity is reading chapter books now too. Isn't it so exciting that she can read on her own?
I'm so glad you guys are adjusting so well and sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Talk to you soon.
We made the same drive this weekend...only a little further to West Memphis. Glad you had a good time and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALAN!!!
How are things going for you guys??
I want to try and get together soon.
Love you!
traci, i'm so glad you guys are all settled in and loving your kiddo's school-that is such a huge deal when you are totally comfortable and love your children's school-our little communtiy of brentwood is so small it is like our own little mayberry in the big city of st. louis and their school only has about 150 students so they have like 15 kids in their classes and everyone knows eachother-i love it! glad you are all doing so well and i'll need to get your new address-christmas cards are just around the corner!
Post a Comment