
As I sat here at my parent's house in North Texas watching the Cowboys stinking up the field tonight, I couldn't help but think about my memories of Texas Stadium. I will never forget walking into that stadium and just having the feeling of "Wow, this is something special!" I always loved how people said that the hole in the top of the stadium is there so, "God can watch his team!"
I just finished watching the closing ceremonies and it was bittersweet. Alot of the players from the 70's, 80's, and 90's were recognized and it was fun to see them jog out there in their Cowboy jerseys. Where was Troy Aikman? He couldn't clear his schedule for this memorable event? Whatever!
My first memory of Texas Stadium was when I was in 4th grade. Our McKinney High School football team played some playoff games there and even though we had to go with our mom's- all the coaches kids got to sit together- and we probably had pretty good seats. I think they kept us from storming the field after the game was over but my dad always came over to us and had the most proud look on his face. We won every game, even the state game in Houston. The best part was the big Texas Stadium road trip and being there in the freezing cold supporting our team.
My next memory was cheering in Texas Stadium. When I was a Varsity cheerleader, our football team was really good. We went to Texas Stadium every weekend for a playoff game and flipping over that star was the best feeling in the world!! I can't tell you how many pictures we got on that star but I can't seem to locate even one of them tonight. ha-ha We thought we were so special because we were ON the field! I went to a couple of playoff games after I got out of school and was in college but it never felt the same.
While I was teaching, a friend of mine had season passes and invited me to a couple of games with her. I definitely remember walking about 50 miles to the stadium but she had great seats once we actually got there. It's a great feeling when everyone is rooting for the Cowboys and they are actually winning games. I was really emotional when Emmitt Smith made history in the 90's and that banner came down declaring him the all time leading rusher! And I was really mad when Leon Lett dropped the ball in the snow one Thanksgiving. Poor Leon! :)
So, farewell Texas Stadium. We will miss you but fondly look back on all the memories and smile.
2 comments:
Traci-
I just caught up on your blog. I loved reading all about your fun Christmas decorations. So much personality and neat things that have been passed down! Those are the best kind.
Kylie is a funny girl. Loved her "That's not my style" comment about the cheerleader on Santa's lap..
Also.. laughed hysterically at the last pic of your kids with Santa. That is a keeper. You guys have a very Merry Christmas. I am glad that you are enjoying your new home.
Girl, I am so glad that you are in town! When can I see you?
Post a Comment