12.09.2008

Christmas Around Our House


Here are some things that make Christmas special at our house. I get so excited when I can get the Christmas decorations out! And, yes, I will put them up pretty much the day after Christmas. Kylie helped out so much with the decorations this year. We try to have hot chocolate and Christmas cookies but I think we just watched Elf while we decorated this year. We also didn't have space for my Christmas Village this year- maybe next year!

Our Christmas Tree
As you can see, it's pretty much a hodge podge of ornaments that the kids have made or people have given us. This is the first year that I have had a formal dining room with a big window in the front of the house. I always wanted to put the tree there!



The Mantel
Another first. Our last mantle wouldn't hold greenery like this one. Last year after Christmas I found these stockings at a great deal! The Walt Disney ones were getting a little old. I also found the picture hangers at Hobby Lobby. Believe me, I had to go to about 27 of them in the area to find 5 of them! 

Nativity Scene
My mom got this for me last year. I had never had one before. I just love to see Riley playing with it! He says, "Baby Jeshus" and knows Joseph, Mary, the cow, the sheep, and "Alice the Camel". Yeah, he sings a song called "Alice the Camel has 5 Humps" while being very careful. Kylie puts each one where they go after he is finished playing.


3 Elves
These have been passed down from my Mother. I remember these elves as a kid. She would tell us that the girl elf was me with the doll, Gary's had the book, and Jeff's had the sailboat. I love putting them out each year and hearing Kylie tell me the story about them.



Toilet Paper Roll Santa
This is a Santa that Alan's mom made with Alan and Essie when they were young. There are lots of these at their house and Nancy was kind enough to let us have one. Alan finds a special place each year for this little guy. It's right on the tv so Alan can see him when he does his favorite thing- watch tv or play video games on the tv!! The kids love this little Santa.

Razorback Santa
I bought this Santa for Alan one of the first years of our marriage. I knew Alan would love it since he is such a Razorback fan. Frankly, I am surprised that I found it in Sachse at a Hallmark-like store that has since closed. Razorback items were scarce in Texas. Now they are everywhere you look in this area. We told Kylie that she was the cheerleader on Santa's lap and she said, "Um..that's just not my style!" 


Santa Candy Dish & Sleeping Santa
This candy dish was my Nanny's. She always loved Christmas and I was so excited to get this when I got my own house. She baked candies and cookies and anything that you could imagine during the holidays. I have some of her recipes but I can't do them justice. I remember this sleeping Santa from when I was a young girl. It always had something yummy in it. I had to fight my brothers for it and I'm glad I won. It was my favorite thing to look at during Christmas at Nanny and PawPaw's house.






Littlest Pet Shop Advent Calendar
Thanks to my friend Erica who just knew that Kylie would love this calendar. (she also was the inspiration for this post!) She does! She jumps up every cold morning and can't wait to see which accessory or pet shop she will get that day. So much for our monogrammed felt Christmas tree that gives you no treats!


The House
I don't know why I put a pic of the house since we didn't have time to put lights on this year. I didn't really even decorate the porch like I usually do. But, I'm really excited about these black light fixtures that I can put a wreath around. There are 2 more on the garage that need wreaths- I smell an After-Christmas Target trip!! My Mom gave me this Southern Living stocking but I have no idea what to put in it and haven't had time to research.

I would include the past Christmas clay ornaments that I buy personalized each year but I can't find them this year. I am really upset about it! I just know that I will find them the week after Christmas and it makes me sick!! Where would I have put them? I know I didn't put them in the garage or attic because they would melt. Where else would I have put them?? 


Hope you enjoyed the tour of the Rutledge house. We are really excited about Christmas this year. Riley has already opened one present!

No comments:

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....