1.10.2006

My Sweet Children

Yesterday was the first day back to Sunshine School since before Christmas. I knew that I was dreading it (I am a homebody!), Kylie was dreading it, but I wasn't so sure about Riles. He has been cooped up at home with me and Kylie and I didn't think that he was talking much. Also, he seemed a little more frustrated with all the holiday partying and being around lots of family. So, I was prepared for the worst day with him until we rounded the corner to the church. He was really excited and I KNEW that he could tell where we were going. He had a really great day at school and seemed to love getting back into the swing of things. He talked a little, "pretzel, cracker, juice" and even said his numbers and alphabet (A,B,A,B,D,D,E)....I'm still calling that the alphabet!

After school, we went to Target where cranky-pants (Kylie) had a small meltdown when she dropped her milk all over the Target floor (Cleanup in the movie section wasn't embarrassing at all!) but Riley was so happy and loving! When we came home, I showed him a picture of squares that he had made at school and he smiled and wanted to see it immediately. He named most of the colors of the squares for me and Alan and talked a lot more than usual. He is really loving the time that he spends with Alan and wants to play chase, tickle, and roar at him. It's so much fun to see! I love to watch Alan get in the floor with the kids and laugh and play with them. They love him so much and he is such a great Dad!

This morning, Riley had therapy and imitated a lot of what Colleen and I were doing. At one point, Kylie pushed Wags the Dog's tummy and it started singing. This is really one of the first times that I have seen Riley dance a jig! It was so cute and I was really proud of him. There are days that he won't say anything much and I get really down and then other days where I am really seeing progress and I can tell that he is going to be a bright little boy!

My friend, Stephanie really gives me encouragement and just yesterday helped me realize that Riley needs social interaction and actually does better when I am not around. Thank you, Steph!

Now to Kylie. What a sweet little girl! She has really been excited about her nightly "devotions". We got her a Devotions for Preschoolers book that has just enough lesson in it for her to actually listen and answer questions each night. There is a story for every night and it ends with a Bible verse and prayer. I have seen her prayers get more deep into feelings and not just things that she is thankful for. I am also proud of her for really trying to interact with Riley. She loves him and wants to play with him and let him into her life. The five to ten minutes he has time for her each day is fine by her! This IS the same little girl who cried every time he cried for the first year of his life! She is really growing up and I love it when she tells me that I look pretty when I have mascara under my eyes and sweats on!

So for today, the children are sweet and happy and talkative. I'm not so sure about tomorrow but then again, who knows what tomorrow will bring? I know that Wednesday will bring "Lost" and that is all I am looking forward to right now!

4 comments:

Erica said...

I love hearing about Kylie and Riley since I am not there to see them everyday now. They are both growing up so much! Listen to Stephanie...Riley likes structure that he is use to and thrives in it. He is precious and I know will continue to amaze you if you just give him the opportunity. I am so proud of him and you too!!

mcjacobsjournal said...

Wow! What a great post! I'm so glad to hear that everything is going so well for your precious children. You are such a good mommy and those two are so lucky to have you and Alan. I'm so glad to hear that Riley is loving school. I agree with everyone else. He was probably longing for that environment that he knows and is comfortable with. And, what a smart boy who knows his colors!!

And, Kylie...she has always just made me smile. She is such a sweetheart and I can only imagine how precious her nightly devotionals are with you guys. That sounds like a great book you found!!

I hope the rest of your week just gets better and better!!

hollyfouts said...

Sweet post! Sounds like you are doing a great job. Being mom is certainly not the most glamorous job, but isn't it wonderful when your kids look past those sweats and see how pretty you really are. And you do look great as a blonde!

Kristen OQ said...

Sunshine School was smooth for us on Monday too -- I was surprised since Seth seems to have gotten particuliarly clingy with me over the holidays. I know you were so happy that Riley did great...you seem like you really know him so well and how to meet his needs perfectly.

So...are you excited about Lost tonight?????

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....