1.13.2010

Haiti Disaster

As I laid in my comfy bed this morning, I briefly heard the words, "Haiti, Port-au-Prince, destruction, earthquake, many feared dead"......needless to say, I woke up pretty quickly and saw what was going on. In the poorest country in the western hemisphere, a powerful earthquake brought down hospitals, schools, and their national palace. Thousands are feared dead and the death toll is unimaginable at this point.

I didn't have time to watch The Today Show because we were running late this morning and I had to get the kids to school. I had several errands to run and I had a big migraine on top of it all. I came back home and did some work, went and picked up the kids, and played with my new phone. When Alan got home we had dinner and played with the kids. It wasn't until I got in bed tonight and checked my blog list that I really understood and remembered what was going on in the other side of the world. Just look at this whole day that I took for granted!

As I read other blogger's perspectives of the devastation, my heart started to ache for all the families and friends in Haiti that are going through an unimaginable event. There are people that have no idea where family members are at this moment. Fearing the worst. Others don't have a place to go. I cannot imagine what is going on and I want to do something to help.

Luckily, there are aid sites where you can donate funds for the victims. Compassion and the Red Cross are two that I know from reading Kelly's Korner. Also, a blog/web designer has a wonderful site called Hope for Haiti that she built today. You can buy a $1 raffle and sign up for any of the great giveaways that people are generously donating. The proceeds will be sent to one of the above funds. Or just grab a button from her like the ones I have on my blogs.

Tomorrow is another day that I will have a warm place to go and I'll get to kiss my kids as they walk into school. I will not take that for granted and I will thank God for all the blessings in my life and pray for those who are in need.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cried when they talked about all the little children that died when thier school collapsed. I can't imagine the grief these people are experiencing right now.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....