It took me a really long time to get to where I can actually help others understand without thinking about our situation. In the beginning, I thought that no one had it worse off than we did and I closed off to the problems of others. I have realized now that we do have hope and I can help others by telling our story or showing how well our son is doing. Of course we still have bad days, but if you look around and take note, most families are struggling with their own problems- no matter how small they may seem.
Look at that sweet little smile and tell me that he's not just the cutest thing ever! If you knew me 3 years ago- I never would have thought that my little Riley would be so sweet and lovable. That's about the time that he was diagnosed with Autism and we thought that we had just been handed a life sentence. That was probably the hardest couple of years of our lives. Not being able to communicate with Riley, letting go of all of our dreams for him, and learning a new way of dealing with our frustrated little boy.Fast-forward to this year and I just can't get enough of him. He is so sweet and is learning so much. He is starting to talk in sentences and if he doesn't know a word for something, he just says, "this!" Sometimes he gets really inventive on how he's going to explain something to me. It may be in pictures, broken sentences, or some kind of physical example. I have never laughed so hard at him and the funny thing is, he knows I am laughing so he laughs too. With me! Did I mention how much I just want to squeeze him? I can finally talk about Riley to other people without holding back tears!
(just for the record- I have not started taking medication! This change is all him and not me at all!)
This year we have seen some GREAT things out of Riles and we look forward to what he will do next. We were shocked when he wanted to eat an orange a couple of months ago. I can't tell you how many little Cuties that I peel for him each day. His big thing this month is strawberries! I have to cut them up so he can eat them with a fork, but it's so awesome that he would even entertain eating something that wasn't salty or crunchy.
He is also doing really well in school. He goes to his regular class for music, p.e., and computers with Mrs. Amy. Mrs. Amy told us that a girl in his class takes him by the hand and says, "Come on, Riley" and he goes with her. Especially during p.e. or recess- they run and play and laugh. Mrs. Amy says that he loves Katelyn and listens to her. I am thinking that we need to invite Katelyn over to give Kylie some lessons in kindness to her little brother. More on that later.
I could go on and on and tell you about how Riley will wear a coat, mittens, and a hat this year which is shocking- and also talk about how he knows the difference in today, tonight, and tomorrow, but I will just say that he is doing awesome and we are so proud of him and love him SO much!! Now when I talk about my son there is a twinkle in my eye and a huge smile on my face. He's just the cutest thing EVER!
12 comments:
What a blessing! May they keep on coming little Riley's and your way!
He is such a cutie!
Oh Traci! How absolutely wonderful. So thrilled for the new things Mr. Riley is doing and for the sweet future ahead! He really is SO cute!!!
he IS so cute! sweet, sweet boy!
He is adorable & a rtrue blessing, as all chirldren are, aglad to hear he is doing better & I just love your blog! :)
Traci I just love this post and he is a doll. I have worked with a few kids who have autism at school. We always make a very big deal about any new milestone they make. He is adorable and I look forward to reading more and more about his accomplishments! I wanted to share with you a girl in my local community who is raising money for autism by selling beaded bracelets. Her story is inspiring and I thought you might wnat to read it... http://www.beadingtobeatautism.org/
What a sweet post, you are such a sweet momma! Riley is so super cute and I am glad to hear that he is doing so fabulous...he is such a blessing!
Aww Traci..he is SO cute! I know how it feels when they do certain things that make your heart melt. Caden will be 8 in less than two weeks and there are days that go by these days that "autism" doesn't cross my mind. God made them so extra special!!!
I loved hearing that your little man is progressing so well! Keep telling us about all his triumphs.
Go Riley! I am so proud of him. All of your hard work is finally paying off. I am so glad that you are able to enjoy and love on your precious boy! I love hearing about his growth! Keep up the hard work. It is working!
Thats for sure!!!! Presh!
Just found your blog. The design/name are sooooooo cute! And hooray for progress with Riley!!
That is so great to hear an update on him. I know it has been an answer to so many prayers. He is so blessed to have you all as parents.
Post a Comment