2.10.2006

My Two Cents

I was just watching yesterday's Oprah while my kids are watching Veggie Tales and I gotta tell ya, lots of emotions are running through me. Oprah talked about October 3,1995: The O.J. Verdict. Her first question was, "Do you remember where you were when the O.J. verdict was read?" My answer.......absolutely! I was an R.A. at Harding and I was sitting in my cute little private room with a handful of girls. I really think that we were skipping class or at lunch because it was close to the middle of the day. I don't remember exactly who was there except for my sweet friend, Michael Ann. (We used to watch Springer just to crack up at all the losers!!) Anyways, we were so nervous when the verdict was about to be read. I just remember feeling so sorry for O.J. and wanted them to say, "Not Guilty" soooooo bad. WHAT???? Why did I feel sorry for him?? Was I THAT young and naiive? One of my friends called me the Queen of Empathy the other day and now I see why. When they did read the verdict, all of us cheered and were SO happy! Man, I am so sorry! I CLEARLY do not feel that way today and I don't want to burst anyones' balloon, but C'MON! That man is SO guilty! He really did get away with murder! I want to take this time to apologize to all the girls that were sitting in my room that day! I should have turned my empathy to both of the families affected in this tragedy. Please tell me if you think differently, or you just want to vent about it. I'll be waiting!

4 comments:

courtney said...

I remember, too. I was a freshman at Texas Tech. Our teacher had let us out of our public speaking class a little early so we could go find a TV and hear the verdict. I went to the campus center which was incredibly crowded with people waiting to hear.

Strange, though, the difference in reaction where I was. Everyone was stunned, silent, and in disbelief that he was acquitted.

I did feel sorry for the Goldman's and the Brown's and wanted them to see justice, but more than that I really felt for Nicole and OJ's kids. I wonder how they're doing today and how they really feel about the situation? Who knows, maybe they find comfort in knowing their father is looking for the real killer on the golf course.

Traci said...

I like your way of thinking, Courtney!

Erica said...

I too look at things differently now. I did not think OJ was guilty either, not becasue I liked the man but just because I wanted there to be more evidence to prove him guilty. I did not think it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I was not excited about the verdict especially when I saw the faces of Nicole and Ron's families. For a long time I was given a hard time about thinking OJ was not guilty( I thought he was probably guilty but not enough evidence at the trial)...then they would say I suppose you think Elvis is alive too??? Maybe.

I thought the Oprah show was very informitive. I wish more of the things talked about could have been brought out in the trial. I feel there would have been a different verdict by the jury.
I too wonder about the children and if they will ever stop being haunted by the truth.

Traci said...

I was hoping that you would read and reply! I miss you and I don't have your email either! tracilynn8@msn.com
Email me, dummy!

Friday is my fave movie only when I am with you........"You're a day late and a donut short!"

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....