4.25.2009

Happy Birthday, MOMMA!!

Happy birthday to my sweet mom today. I wish I could be with her (all the Texas people went to Mimi's to celebrate over brunch) :( We are missing you and will celebrate with you next weekend!

My mom is a strong, Christian woman and a wonderful and loyal friend. We may not have seen eye to eye while I was growing up, but we have definitely made it through the dark storm. I can't imagine having another person guide me through life and I love her so very much. She is my best friend.



Happy Birthday to the best Nana in the world!
(Don't look at Riley's rash!)

So, Alan and I ran the Race for the Cure this morning and I just have one word- WOW! Wow to all the survivors that were there, wow to the thousands of people that were there and wow to Nancy G. Brinker for promising her sister, Susan that she would do anything in her power to cure breast cancer. 

Of course, I became emotional when I stepped over the starting line (large crowds coming together to celebrate is my total weakness!). Some woman came up to me and put her hand on my shoulder and said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one crying already." I felt really dumb since I don't know anyone personally who has lost their fight to breast cancer. 

I have to say that Alan stayed with me the whole time! Usually he runs ahead of me and I can usually look for the razorback on his back and see him up ahead. We kinda messed up- we should have stayed close to the front with the "joggers". We were further back and if we wanted to jog, we had to zig-zag in and out of people which we felt bad about doing. 

We are so proud that each year we contribute to the cure. It's a great cause and we enjoy feeling great afterwards. Thanks to Keith and Nancy for keeping the kids! :)


6 comments:

Emily Jane said...

Traci, I know what you mean about crying during races! I can't help myself but I always start to cry a little at the beginning and end of a big race that's supporting some cause. Some would say I'm a softy. :) I love reading your blog!

Traci said...

Emily, I always cry at the end, too but this time we didn't get to jog across the finish line (so many people
packed in one lane) so I didn't tear up.

We can be softys together!!

Erica said...

Does it count that I am crying at the thought of running in a race;-) I love you and am so proud of you and Alan for doing these races. Maybe some day I will be on board.
Also Happy Birthday indeed to your precious Mom! Give her a hug for me next time you see her.

Nicole said...

Hey there, I lost your blog for awhile and am glad that I found you again! Good job on the race...I'm really proud of y'all! I'm with Erica...I cry at the thought of running the race at all. :-)

The French Connection said...

Hey friend! I'm slowly recovering from my recent mental illness and trying to do normal things like blog and check on people. You know better than almost anyone how hard 2008 was and I hate I've missed so much of everyone's lives. The kids look beautiful. Kamdyn talks about her Kylie all the time. She has been working on a scrapbook of just her and Kylie. I have printed all the McDonalds pictures and swimming pictures from the last few years. Wehn it is finished we will make onww for Kylie also.
I miss you a lot, Traci. I know, without a doubt, that God is using your family in Arkansas. I have to learn to SKYPE!!!

Jen said...

How wonderful that you guys participate in the Race for the Cure!

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....