Here's the 411. When I enrolled Kylie into Kindergarten in Texas, I simply marched up to the school, handed them our papers, and we were good to go. In Arkansas, I am hearing stories that if you want your child to be in their "home" school or a school with a good reputation, you have to stand in line for hours! I think some may even "camp out" like they are getting tickets for the Jonas Brothers. A lot of kids end up on the waiting list and it never happens for them.
Well, since we transferred in at the end of October, our "home" school just happens to be the most popular school and there was NO way that they had any openings at all at that time! They could have maybe had an opening for Kylie but for the Autism class- Riley had no chance of getting in there.
So, we got them into a school across town that I grew to love. Everyone in the office is pleasant and helpful. Kylie's teacher is an angel. And all 3 of Riley's teachers love him and treat him like one of their own. I love the carpool in the afternoon- the fact that they treat Riley like all of the other kids. All of the assistants know my kids and speak to them when they walk in the front doors- everything about the school has made us so fortunate to have found it.
So, why mess with a good thing?
Because I have heard through numerous sources- and not in the same circle- that if you have a child on the spectrum, the new school will push and make sure that said child will eventually be mainstreamed. That's our goal, right? For Riley to be mainstreamed into a typical classroom and be pushed to try new things. They won't throw him into a classroom without a shadow and I sincerely believe that by 3rd or 4th grade, he will be able to hold his own. Plus it's less than 5 minutes away. That Bentonville traffic across town can take a while!
It's a scary situation all the way around. I went up to the new school in the beginning of February and talked to them about a transfer. They already had kids on the waiting list but said they could maybe get Riley into the class if they had anyone leave or test out. All I had to do was remind our school and their school on April 1 that we were on the transfer list and that we wanted a transfer. Well, after a couple of days, I told our old school that we were happy and were going to stay. I had made a decision and wasn't going to mess with a good thing. April 1st rolls around and I did nothing. It was in God's hands. If a transfer was the best thing for our family- it would happen. If it wasn't the best thing, we would stay and be happy and content.
Well, without me calling and reminding and preparing- it happened. I got the call from our old school after I picked up the kids that the transfer went through. I wanted to cry. Riley's teacher came to mind- the one that begged us a couple of weeks ago not to leave. Kylie came to mind- would she have friends in our surrounding neighborhoods for playdates? Our future came to mind- will my kids be pushed to be the best that they can be?
Hello, new school? You have got BIG shoes to fill! Please don't let us down.❤

3 comments:
Like you said it's in God's hands now. Hopefully this new school will kick butt!
Jeff
I live right by this school and I have heard nothing but great things about the school from parents in our neighborhood. Best of luck! Melissa
I can only imagine how hard that decision was. I used to teach and I think it is wonderful that you are spreading awareness through your blog about autism. So many people and parents do not truly realize what a family goes through. Praying for you guys. I hope Riley gets a teacher(s) that really focus on him and help him feel safe and secure next year!
Post a Comment