
I was just reminded by my sweet friend, Leigh Ann that today is World Autism Awareness Day. We don't have an amazing slideshow to show today (we did that last year :) but I will say that Riley is doing wonderful and I could never have imagined how far he has come in letting us be a part of his life.
I have many stories that I could share with you but today I am just going to remind you that if you have a friend or family member with a child that just doesn't seem to be listening or is in their own little world, encourage them to seek an evaluation immediately. It was one of the hardest things that I had to do but we have seen a vast improvement because of early intervention.
We owe a special thanks to all the friends and family who are so accepting of Riley and who encourage Alan and I daily. Because more people are aware of Autism, hopefully we will see a day where we will all be a little bit more accepting of the person sitting next to us. I know I struggled with that until I met my son.
Please say a special prayer today that Riley continues to learn to communicate with us and that Alan and I are doing the best we can for him. Also be sure to mention Kylie. She struggles so hard to accept her brother after being rejected by him for so long. She still doesn't understand that he can't do the things that she is so capable of doing and wonders why he gets special attention sometimes.
We saw this hand-painted horse statue in our hometown and just had to get a picture with Riley in it. They paint it every month or so to promote awareness in our area. This month it said "Autism Awareness 1 in 150." That means 1 child in 150 births are diagnosed with Autism. For more information on Autism, please visit the Autism Society of America.
8 comments:
Thinking of you and Riley today. I KNOW you are doing the most you can do for Riley--he is lucky to have you as parents!
I saw yesterday that there was a study done in Britain that said now 1 in 68 are diagnosed with Autism. It's definitely becoming and epidemic and I hope there is lots more research done on it in the very near future.
I am so amazed with Riley and thankful for the progress he has made just since I have been reading your blog. He is so blessed to have such wonderful parents.
Just said a prayer! I can see God answering your prayers thru all that you have been doing for Riley. May the doors open wider and the blessings flow.
I've been thinking about you guys a lot with it being autism awareness month. You two are such awesome parents. Riley is profoundly blessed to have you both and all that you have done and continue to do to help him. He is where he is today with your help and advocacy. I'm so proud of you and especially Riley, he is doing so well. God is blessing you and your family in all this and will continue to be faithful. Remember, He loves Riley even more than you and knows exactly where He wants him to be. I really need to call you. I loved that horse picture - Riley is really photogenic! Lots of love!
Sending love and good thoughts your way from Texas. I love to hear updates on Riley and am always excited to read about progress that he makes. I just saw Jenny McArthy on TV this morning talking about autism, so y'all were already on my mind today!
I'm so glad I found you Traci! You are an amazing mom and I'm so thankful for all the progress sweet Riley has made. He is one wonderful little boy! I love that your town has that horse and that they devoted a little time to autism awareness. That is awesome!
It is because of friends like you that make those hard days a little easier for me! I still hope one day we can meet in person!!!
We love your family and celebrate with Riley and all of his amazing progress! You and Alan are such amazing parents... both of your children are so lucky to have you! Your story is a blessing to so many!
Traci,
You and Alan are such a good Mom and Dad to Riley and Kylie. They are two lucky little ones! Glad to hear that Riles is making such excellent progress!!!
Katina
Post a Comment