4.08.2009

Update on the kids

I thought I would post an update on the kids and what they have been up to lately. I feel so lucky that I get to take them to school and look forward to picking them up. They are such a joy in our lives.


Kylie has been a little sassy pants lately. She has her moments where she is sweet as pie, though, and that's what I am going to focus on. Not the times like the other night when she called Alan and I "bad parents"!!! Oh, well, I knew it would come someday. I just thought she would be in her teens when it started. 

Okay, here are the high points of little Miss Kylie's life lately.

  • She started a drama camp. Her first class was Monday and there are 5 kids in her class. 2 boys and 3 girls. When I went to pick her up I asked how she liked it. She said something that I had never heard from her. "I LOVED it!! She can't wait to go back next week. Look out Kate Winslet! My shy gal is gettin' her actin' groove on!
  • She and Alan have been riding bicycles every day. She loves to go outside with her dad and rides all over the neighborhood. Today she told Alan that her legs were burning while they were on their ride! ha!
  • She found a four-leaf clover the other day. She was so excited about it that she took a picture and I think she blogged about it.
  • Her room is still A MESS! She is the messiest kid I know. I love it when she helps me clean, though.
  • Her favorite movie this month is The Parent Trap. She loves it and I can hear her singing and playing it out in her room. That is seriously so funny to listen to on the other side of the door!
  • This week was testing week at her school. I thought she would be nervous and didn't quite know how she would handle it. She came home the first day and said she couldn't wait to go back to school tomorrow! She loved where her desk was and that it was quiet most of the day. I peeked in the room the next day and all their desks were spread out all over the room. She liked it because no one was right beside her bothering her and her room wasn't loud with all the kids running around it. You gotta love her!




Now on to my little guy! Riley has just been amazing us right and left lately. There are times when I am just so in love with him and can't get enough of him. Then, there are times that he is way out of sync and I just don't know what to do! I sure do miss grandparents at times like those.

  • He is pointing at everything! This may seem trivial but kids with autism do not point until they learn how. My favorite is when I am taking him to school. Every morning he points to this particular house and says "Purple house." Every morning, folks! (Trust me- it REALLY is a purple house!)
  • I took him to get a haircut the other day and instead of crying the whole time- he laughed. The buzzer tickled him and he really enjoyed his haircut for the first time. That was a good day.
  • He is starting to answer questions. I can ask him where something is and he can tell me in a few words or go get it for me. Answering questions is HUGE!!
  • He yells for me/at me. WOW! How long I have yearned to hear "Moooommmmyyy!" by someone other than Kylie. He yells Mommy when he is mad and he just yelled Mommy for me to tuck him in. Ahhh....pure joy!
  • He wants us to tuck him in and lay down with him for a minute or two. Alan figured out that if he starts kissing all over him and bothering him just enough, he will say, "Get out!"
  • He says, "Give me a smoochie" and "I love you" so sweet. It's seriously like music to our ears.
  • I clipped his nails the other night and taught him each finger. He listened really well and by the end he could tell me which one his pinky was, ring finger, tall man, thumb, and pointer. He still knew them the next day. It is AMAZING to see that knowledge come out. It's just been hiding in that little brain for so long.
  • He wakes me up early Saturday mornings and says, "Get dressed...school!" He loves school. I love that he is learning so much at school.
It thrills us so much to see how far that Riley has come and how much Kylie is growing. :)


4 comments:

Alyssa said...

I love reading your updates!!! Your kids are growing and changing so quickly!!

Tracey said...

It was fun to read about the kids lives! They are growing up so fast.

Anonymous said...

Love the update. So happy for Riley. By the way, I was an extremely shy girl and then when I started drama in jr. high I came out of my shell. Wish I'd done it sooner. Way to go Kylie!

Amy said...

Those are great stories - Kylie sounds like so much fun and the things Riley is doing are just awesome!

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....