Alan's Granny went to be with Jesus early this morning. She had pneumonia and was at the hospital with family when she died. She was 94 years young. We were all prepared that the end could be near but it was still really sad when we all got the news this morning.
I will always remember the times that we spent out at Granny's during Christmas and Thanksgiving. She had seven living children, many grandchildren, great-grandchildren as well as some great-great-grandchildren so there was always lots of people and even more food. The last couple of years we still celebrated at Granny's and then would go and visit her at the home afterwards. She was a beautiful lady who lived a wonderful life and I am sure that she is smiling down on all her family from heaven today.
The following was written by Alan:
I will always remember the times we had over at Granny and Grandpa's house. Essie and I spent so much time over there early on. Holiday's were magical there. Even an ordinary Sunday transformed when the family gathered there.
The smell of her beauty shop. The large garden that she would plant every year. The superb meals that she created. That old red car. The times she would get onto me because Essie had started a fight (or it could've been me - memory is a little fuzzy on those instances :). The Sunday mornings when we'd go to Church (both Salado and Southside). The times she and Grandpa would take us fishing. I remember me and my cousin Blake would run around their house for hours in our own made up obstacle course. Or, we would run because Essie was chasing us with a rusty nail. I remember the strength she demonstrated when my Grandpa had to have his leg amputated and the endurance she has shown since his passing over 18 years ago. I am smiling, laughing and holding back some tears as I recall these memories and the impact she had on who I am today.
She was a wonderful person, a true matriarch of our family, and I will miss her. I am comforted that she is now in our Lord's loving embrace and smiling down from Heaven with Grandpa. I love you Granny.
- Your Loving Grandson, Alan


5 comments:
Thank you, Al and Traci, for sharing these wonderful memories of Granny. She will certainly be missed.
Traci & Alan
I'm sorry to hear of your loss! It's so hard to lose our grandparents....she is smiling down on the letter though - it was so sweet. Love ya'll.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. What a touching letter Alan wrote for his Granny...We will keep you in our prayers. Love you guys!!
What a sweet letter of memories from Alan! So sorry for your loss but I know that she is smiling from ear to ear with pride over all the love you showered on her over the years. Love you all and sending a big hug your way!
I am so sorry for your loss!
Post a Comment