
Last night Alan and I watched the Razorback game on tv. I think we were the only ones in this part of town that didn't go to the game. :(
It started off great- we were doing so good, but then the dogs were too. Right before half-time it just started looking really grim. In years past, this was a great time to talk smack about the Hogs and see Alan's reaction. I kept him rilled up fo' sho! But this year, it's a little different. This is the first football season that we have lived up here in Hog County and I am really feelin' it!
A family member called me out the other day and asked when I turned on Texas. I felt the need to let you know my Hog status and how this Texas girl became an Arkansas Razorback fan:
When I was growing up, my parents didn't bully us into rooting for their college team. By the way, I think a Texas team that shall rename nameless are the worst at this! My dad went to TCU and that was way before they were good, so, I didn't really give a crap about college football. My team was my high school team that I proudly cheered 6 years for. My dad was a high school football coach and that was pretty much the only football talk around our house except the Cowboys... when they were winning.
Then I went to college. It's pretty certain that I didn't go to college for the football team. I went to a small Christian college in Arkansas and I did go to a couple of games but it wasn't very exciting at all!
Fast forward to meeting Alan who did go to U of A. We both graduated in Arkansas, came to Texas and met. I knew his love for the Razorbacks and even tolerated it when his friends and family called the hogs at our wedding reception. I thought he was a little silly when he would be 2 inches away from the tv cheering his team on. And that he was very moody when they lost.
Then, Alan's sister got us tickets to see the Razorbacks play in Little Rock. Of course, we had to tailgate before the game and I was just along for the ride and the food. Wondering why I was standing around with a bunch of die-hard hog fans, the moment came. It was something that I never expected to happen:
All of the fans stood and turned toward the street, there was a hush and then there was loud hooting and hollering and everyone was happy. I turned to see what all the fuss was about and there it was. THE BUS! It was the Razorback bus with the team inside. All of a sudden I got chill bumps and my eyes started to water (large groups of people......I've blogged about this before).......this was MY team! I was so excited and so happy to be a part of being a Razorback fan that the game was actually fun! I called the hogs and did the cheers. All because of that little moment.
Just like an Aggie mom, I proudly dressed my kids in red with big A's on them that were provided by the Arkansas grandparents. They had football jerseys, cheerleader outfits, track suits, and even pajamas. Even now, it's pretty sweet that we can find them down the road at Walmart unlike Texas where everything is burnt orange. Instead of the thumb or the Spock look-a- like sign, my kids call the hogs, and that's the way I like it.
So, that is just exactly how I became a Razorback fan. I may have been born in Texas but I sure do bleed Razorback red for my hogs!

Razorback image taken from arkansasrazorbacks.com
3 comments:
Cute pics girly!! Don't worry you didn't miss out on much! I sat next to a guy that smelled like Jim Beam and yelled in my ear the whole night!
Would have rather sat this one at home! HA! ;)
Hope you are well!
Love all your pics! That's what our baby will look like only with Louisville Cardinals:) I just realized you guys have our old coach! Petrino! WE loved him until of course he left us lol! Can't blame him though. We are having a rough few seasons with our new coach, but hopefully we will pull out of that slump here soon:)
woah, woah, woah! watch it with the TCU comments! I LOVE my Horned Frogs!!
Post a Comment