12.05.2009

Buddy: The Elf on the Shelf

Warning: This story broke mine and Alan's heart. We love our sweet little girl SO much!!


So, Santa made sure to send us an Elf on the Shelf this year. If you aren't familiar with this tradition, let me try to explain it. We got a book and an Elf. The book let us know that the elf is here through the holidays to listen and take notes for Santa. We are supposed to welcome him into our home and give him a name. I bet Alan ten bucks that Kylie would name him Buddy- after our favorite movie ELF. I need to collect those skins from him this weekend!

Each night, the elf flies to the North Pole to report his findings about the day and he returns the next morning- in a different place in the house. So, the kids wake up and try to find him each morning. They cannot touch him or he will lose his magic. They can only talk to him and tell him things to tell Santa. The elf is not supposed to talk to them either. A big concept that I need to share here is that the elf is supposed to go back to the North Pole after Christmas and not return until next Christmas. We didn't think about that being a problem.......until tonight.

Buddy was on the chandelier this morning when we woke up!

Kylie came bringing me this note tonight with big tears in her eyes. Apparently, she is already smitten with Buddy and doesn't ever want to see him go back to the North Pole. I asked her if I could share it on the blog because sometimes she reads it (watch your comments :). She said it was okay.

11 comments:

Kara said...

Oh that is so cute! Poor Kylie! However, some of our best friends leave us for a while and because we are apart, we are all that much more happy to see them when they return!

Traci said...

I will tell her that, Kara. She was just looking at a pic of Lola and thinks he is SO cute!! :)

Jen said...

Precious! Absolutely adorable little girl you have!

courtney said...

the EXACT same thing happened to us. i swear, sometimes i wonder if landry and kylie were somehow separated at birth. :) she didn't write a note to santa, but when we told her Stevie (our elf) would leave after christmas, her eyes filled with big ole tears and she was REALLY sad!

Maggi said...

This is the sweetest letter ever! It also makes me want to see if I can get an elf for our house (although I would feel the same way as Kylie! lol)

Anonymous said...

ohhhh poor baby. She is a very sweet little girl!

Unknown said...

that is so sweet! I have never seen that book before, I need to look into that so my kids know that there is an extra pair of eyes on them.

Mandy said...

Traci, that is absolutely precious! Kylie, thanks for allowing your Mom to share this with us!! We have an elf, too!! Ella is scared of him though...but she's also scared of Santa :(

Mandy (Taylor-Made Tales)

Kathryn said...

What a sweet and thoughtful young lady you are raising! Maybe Buddy the Elf will be able to sneak back into town throughout the year for special occasions (birthdays, first days of school, etc.). After all, Santa watches year-round!

Amy said...

Seriously, how sweet it that? My kids were super sad to see Scout leave us last year, too, but it sure made Thanksgiving day fun this year!! Scout was waiting on them when they woke up the morning after! It was a joyful reunion!!:)

The Wallace Family said...

Oh my goodness so sweet! At least she knows that Santa will be sending Buddy the Elf back to your house next year:) I'm sure he has been telling Santa what a wonderful and sweet girl Kylie is:)

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....