11.17.2009

Mammograms

Have you heard the news this morning about mammograms. Apparently, a bunch of "scientists" called a task force (probably the same ones that think 5-6 shots in a baby at the same time is a good idea) have now come up with this theory that women who are 40 should not get routine mammograms for early detection of breast cancer. They are changing their minds and now recommending that women ages 50-74 get a routine mammogram every two years. Risks and benefits for women 75 and older are unknown which is basically their way of saying, "You are too old for us to worry about anyway" in my opinion.

The task force said they aren't against screening women in their 40's but they just don't think it should be routine. But you know what's next? Health coverage on screenings will be dropped for anyone based on these new recommendations.

The American Cancer Society is up in arms over these new recommendations. I wonder how breast cancer survivors who found out through early detection are feeling about this. What a step backwards!

This is important to note:
The task force is composed of 16 health care experts, none of whom are oncologists. The group reviews medical data and bases recommendations on effectiveness and risks involved.

----------------My two cents below----------------------

Lately, I am really bothered by committees with members that aren't experts on the subject at hand! Don't even get me started on the IACC (Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee). This is a group of "experts" that are supposed to develop and update a strategic plan for autism research and garner support for the autism community. I just threw up in my mouth a little because most of these committee members couldn't make a decision on how to get out of a paper bag. They aren't parents of a child with autism and they don't and have never dealt or worked with a child with autism. The closest person on that panel was a developmental pediatrician at one time and do you know what they do? They test the kid and then, based on facts, give you a diagnosis and collect their check for $500. They are even more clueless about what to do for kids with autism than a pediatrician.

And that, is my two cents for the day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I get an AMEN? I thougth I heard it wrong on the news this morning due to my caffeine deficiency. I am ashamed and appalled at this. We are supposed to be one of the most advanced nations in the world and this is like a giant step backwards.

Kara said...

Insurance companies are evil. They probably sponsored the group that came up with hair-brained idea.

tomorrow

Tomorrow we start back to school. UGH! I don't wanna go back just yet but I know that my body and mind will feel better once I get back....